13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
ColinWolstencroft
2253 Views, 13 Replies

Back-Up files

Hi all,

Have a bit of an issue.

My autosave seems to be a bit strange. Set to save at 10min intervals. But if I try and locate the saved files it seems saving as a PDF.. Have tried saving a copy and saving as a DWG but that doesn't work. Acrobat opens and tells me the file is not a valid format. Also cannot see any ac$ files anywhere which I thought was the file extension.

Please help.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Hi,

you may need to disable Automatic publish from Options command >> Plot and publish tab >> Auto publish

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 14

Hi there,

Checked that and Auto Publish is not enabled.

I am reading that my Windows is associating .bak files to PDF and am trying to sort that.

Meanwhile is there any way of getting this PDF file back to DWG so I can open it ? Have tried giving it a .dwg extension but Acrobat still opens and says format not supported.

Thanks

Colin

Message 4 of 14

Re the above.

I have a bunch of BAK files in my temp folder. I try renaming the file ( 23mb ) and giving it a .dwg file extension. However, when I open it it opens as Drawing 1 with nothing on it. Very confused and in a bit of a panic as I saved a new drawing over an old file which I need to recover. Ideas please ?

Thank you all

Message 5 of 14

>> I try renaming the file ( 23mb )

is it applicable to attache here this file for testing please or any other one ? 

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 6 of 14

Screenshot 2021-01-24 154236.jpg

So, for instance, the highlighted file. I copy it and rename with a.dwg file extension. Doesn't change and appears to stay as a BAK file. 22mb size. If I open it it, it opens as a new drawing. Drawing 1 with nothing in the drawing.

Thanks

Colin

Message 7 of 14

we need the file itself for testing ... to see if we will have the same as you have ?

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 8 of 14

BTW .. how about trying to open the file end with .dwg above your marked one and have the same file size ?

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 9 of 14

So it won't let me attach the file as a .bak file is not supported. So it seems that even if I rename the file and the extension, it does not change ??

And the other file which you suggested, which I renamed earlier still says it is a BAK file even though the file extension was changed to DWG

Thanks

Colin

Message 10 of 14

From what I see here, you didn't change the file extension. Only renaming the file.

You need to change a setting in the File Explorer.

show extension.png

After you show the file extension, try to rename the extension again.

If it still fails, capture the file list and upload it again here.

Cheers,
Edwin Prakoso
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
RobDraw
in reply to: ColinWolstencroft

^ This. ^

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 12 of 14

Hi there,

Found the issue. As you suggested. Issue for me was as explorer was not showing the file extension, when I renamed it with a new extension, I thought, it didn't change. Sorted now thank you.

One other thing though. I thought back up files were saved as ac$ files ? I do not see any. Only .bak.

Thanks

Message 13 of 14
RobDraw
in reply to: ColinWolstencroft

.bak = back-up files

.ac$ = temporary files

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 14 of 14

@ColinWolstencroft wrote:

So it won't let me attach the file as a .bak file is not supported. ....

[For future reference, you can post a file of an unsupported file type by putting it into a .ZIP file.]

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

AutoCAD Inside the Factory