Did you mean: 

AutoCAD saving multitudes of IDW files

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jrusinov
98 Views, 2 Replies

AutoCAD saving multitudes of IDW files

Hey Community!

Need a little help with some mass populating ".idw" files.

I know that an idw file is created temporarily when you make a viewbase or open a file with a viewbase in it.

That being said, I have noticed two issues with the idw files remaining.

1. Whenever we have drawings located in a sheet set, and we use the sheet set to publish the collection, any drawings that were not manually open on the device at the time have one of these .idw files created and they persist until manually deleted. As the purpose of using the sheet set to publish means we are not always looking at the drawing files folder this can sometimes lead to a buildup of 50-100 extra files in a folder depending on package size. We try to keep on top of deleting them but if there is a solution to this I would love to know

2. This one is much more annoying... We have recently upgraded to 2025 for context. Whenever I open a file that has viewbases in it a mass of IDW files is created that persists until manually deleted. I have just opened two CAD files numbered "1211" and "1221" (for context on image below) and before I have even done any editing in the files or even moved in the drawings the folder was populated by 13 IDW files that do not automatically delete themselves as seen in the photo below. Is this just a by product of our upgrade to 2025? How do I correct this? We have tons of stock parts/drawings that we cannot remake every CAD model year. Also I have tested, and just saving these files while in 2025 and then re-opening does not correct the issue. I haven't tested any new drawings as of yet (made in 2025)

IDW file Screenshot.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: jrusinov

@jrusinov if this is new to you ONLY in the 2025 versions, you'll want to contact Autodesk Support yourself, this forum is never that, and in the meantime roll back to 2024-23-22 versions in the interim if it is crippling your productivity.

Here are ways to open a support case with Autodesk if you are on subscription to seek out Autodesk Support's help:
https://www.autodesk.com/support/account/manage/use/support#:~:text=com/plans.-,Contact%20support,-S...

IDW creation is just how the program works, not much we end users can do about limiting it where it is a default.

Message 3 of 3
jrusinov
in reply to: jrusinov

I will reach out to support but issue #1 is not related to 2025 as it has been happening ever since we started using Sheet Sets in 2022. Wondering if anyone has found a workaround for that or either. I will reach out to support though

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report