Did you mean: 

AutoCAD not drawing squares or rectangles correctly

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
brianwclayton1969
2074 Views, 6 Replies

AutoCAD not drawing squares or rectangles correctly

Hello, I'm having an issue with AutoCAD when creating squares or rectangles. I notice when I click on the rectangle button in the ribbon, and AutoCAD says, "Specify first corner point", when I select anywhere on the screen when I want to manually place a beginning point and then type in my X and Y coordinates (example 15",15" for a 15" x 15" square) sometimes the square isn't even close or is rectangle with different lengths. 

What's wrong? Any thoughts?

Appreciate the assistance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
user181
in reply to: brianwclayton1969

Hi @brianwclayton1969 ,  after picking your start point use the @ symbol with the x & y (@15,15)

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
hencoop
in reply to: brianwclayton1969

Sounds like running osnaps may be in effect and a corner or few finds something to snap to.  The command calculates and issues the other points of the polyline for you but they are still subject to your OSMODE system variable.

Press [F3] to turn off osnaps before starting the command.

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024
Message 4 of 7

Use the Dimension option in rectangle or use the @Anonymous,15 as mentioned in post 2.  If you give the program 15,15 it will pick absolute coordinates and not relative from.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 5 of 7

Sounds like user error... watch the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJzpbOonkME

Message 6 of 7

Make sure that you have Dynamic Input turned on if you don't want to specify "@15,15".

Dynamic input can be turned on in the status bar. If you cannot find the button in your status bar, use the customization icon in the far right of the status bar and make sure Dynamic Input is checked. Then confirm that the icon is on (It looks like a plus next to a rectangle - I tell students it looks like a sideways Nintendo Wii).

Finally, make sure that after you type in "15,15" that you press Enter afterward, clicking on the screen will override what you type in.

Message 7 of 7

Great thanks I will try that option.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta