Autocad crashes without reason

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
karel-gerritse
1000 Views, 27 Replies

Autocad crashes without reason

Hey all,

I need some help. A month ago, I had problems with autocad 2018 on my desktop and laptop. After some help of others I found out that updating it via the desktop app made a solution. But since this morning it again crashes randomly at my desktop. My laptop works fine. I recentely bought a new mouse and keyboard, about 4 weeks ago, and had no problems with it, but tested it with another mouse, did not work. I searched here on the forums and found a complete list (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Progra...) and tried everything, but nothing came out as a solution.

- graphics software  is up to date

- no new updates in the desktop app

- no reason to beleave that I have virusses. Only windows security operating

- temp folder is empty now

- Enough hard disk space

- There is something written about directX 9, but that article looks like it has been written for an older windows version.

- autocad resetted to defaults

- Time/date confirmed ok

- Windows .NET is up to date

Autocad gives as problem, when crashing: Unhandeled exception.

Now trying to start it with "nohardware" mode

EDIT: no hardware was no solution. Autocad also reïnstalled this afternoon.

System: windows 10. GPU: MSI GTX 960 4GB, Intel I7 4790K, 8 GB RAM

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

No one?

Message 3 of 28

Hi,

>> when crashing: Unhandeled exception.

Is it always the same exception? Can you upload a screenshot of that message as well as some info, what you did (last commands) when it crashed?

If these crashes all appear with the same drawing/the same project it might help to use command _RECOVERALL instead of opening your drawing in a usual way.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 28

Hey Alfred,

Yes always the same drawing. Here also some screens from it. I've also searched for a solution to find out how to read the dump files, but did not found it. Now trying your "recover all" solution.

Karel

2.JPG1.JPG

Message 5 of 28

Hi,

>> always the same drawing

So it might be a problem of this file.

If command _RECOVERALL does not help you might try to copy & paste all geometry from the existing modelspace (turn on and thaw all layers before) to a new drawing and continue with that new file.

Also one suggestion: please do not save to an old dwg-format, stay at DWG-2018 format.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 6 of 28

Recover all, anbd copying it to another file doesn't work. Tried it before, but now again, and crashes very quick.

Karel

Message 7 of 28

Hi,

are there specific commands used then AutoCAD crashes?

Can you upload the dwg-file so we can try, if we crash too (as long as we know what we have to try to make it instable)?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 28

Hey Alfred,

I can normally use the file on my laptop. Only my desktop crashes continuesly. It happens with several commands like offset, zoming via the mouse, ploylines etc. I'm thinking that it depends from my desktop.

I attached the file.

Karel

Message 9 of 28

Hi,

>> Only my desktop crashes continuesly

>> I'm thinking that it depends from my desktop.

OK, then we don't need to play with the file, because then I would need your desktop to reproduce these crashes.

Updating drivers, Windows, uninstall unnecessary software would be my next steps then.

Also trying to create a new Windows user and test it in that new environment could give you a feedback if it depends on the user account.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 28

Hi Alfred,

That was just what I was thinking also 😉

I'm just a student, so no hard network users etc, just a stand alone desktop, and I'm the only user, so I'm also the admin. I don't understand why it should hang about the user accout...

Karel

Message 11 of 28

Hi,

>> I'm the only user, so I'm also the admin. I don't understand

>> why it should hang about the user accout

The user account holds a lot of settings, starting with Windows explorer and permission settings up to every detail in the settings of your graphic card, of your AutoCAD, ... and much more in the registry.

To create a new user means you can start with a "clean environment" which could show you if it works better then or AutoCAD crashes then too (and so it's workstation specific like drivers and not user specific like some settings).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 12 of 28

Hey Alfred,

It looks like a new account works better with autocad, but the reason why...

When I opened autocad foor the first time, I got a popup about the hardware acceleration, see attachment. THe Motherboard temperature looks extreme, but that is a softwarefault. In the UEFI it looks normal. Its a known problem for this motherboard in combi with this software etc.

Karel

Message 13 of 28

Hi,

>> It looks like a new account works better with autocad

Watch it a bit, you have seen in the past that sometimes the crashes appear later.

>> popup about the hardware acceleration

As long as you don't work 3D that should not be important. It shows that you are using a not certified drivers and at least one of the DirectX tests AutoCAD does while it starts the first time seem to have failed.

>> THe Motherboard temperature looks extreme, but that is a softwarefault

Well, 114° is much higher then anything normal. If it's a software bug of your software, then ok, but if the sensor reports this incorrect also to other devices it could result in crashes too (but in most cases a heating issue is followed by a shut down or a blue screen crash or at least a short blanking of your working display).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 14 of 28

>> Watch it a bit, you have seen in the past that sometimes the crashes appear later.

Was this thinking also. 

>> popup about the hardware acceleration

Yeah, I attached the pictures so you could see my hardware, and it worked all good for more than 3 years. 

>> THe Motherboard temperature looks extreme, but that is a softwarefault

The UEFI temp is nomal. Offcourse I was searching if it was a problem, but found on other fora that others were having the same problems. 

I went back to my normal account and started working, and then it looks like it workes now. But I thought it maybe was the hardware accelleration, but it isn't. So for now, what to do? Any ideas?

EDIT: crashed after finishing this post...

Karel

Message 15 of 28

Hi,

>> So for now, what to do?

>> crashed after finishing this post...

Stay at your new account and give it a bit more time to see if it's stable or not.

Watch the commands when it crashes

Take care about the crash message, is it always the same?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 16 of 28

Hey Alfred,

Took some time, was drawing via the new accout, which worked perfectly for more than a hour. Then got back to the normal account, and it crashed quite quick again. So it is something account-depending. What's next?

Karel

Message 17 of 28

Hi,

>> What's next?

First good to know it's not your workstation or operating system.

The next step is to verify if it's

• AutoCAD setting (AutoCAD profile, but as you stated you already have reset the AutoCAD profile I guess that this is not the source of the problem, but maybe permissions in the registry could be tricky here)
  • Windows user profile settings
  • driver settings (e.g. settings in the graphic card driver)
  • started software in one user account not started (or started with different settings) in the other account
  • temp folder (too many files (may be hidden files) in the folder. That might also be an argument why it worked well for some time an now start crashing (I know, the idea could be presented earlier in this thread)

One question to think about first ... you can now play hours to find (or find not) the real reason. How many time does it use to adapt the settings (like mail, internet browser favorites, ...) in the new account? It could be that this is the more secure option to take that way 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 18 of 28

HI @karel-gerritse,

I looked up the reports that you submitted and they all show .NET Framework issues.  Perhaps it is worth rolling back some Windows updates to see if that helps or try the .NET repair tool.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 19 of 28

Hey John and Alfred,

Thanks for your reaction. I tried the .NET framework repair tool, but did not think it worked correct, see attachments. Rolling back updates is hard since I don't exactly know which update it was. I also tried to switch .NET framework off via "uninstall program" amd than on the left upper side "switch off Microsoft applications", but that didn't work either. Just another question. In case I would switch to a new user account, why would that work correctly if .NET Framework has a fault?

Message 20 of 28

Hi @karel-gerritse,

Switching to a different user account is certainly worth a try as there might be some corruption in your existing user profile.  Have you tried that to see if AutoCAD behaves properly?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost