AutoCAD Attribute for Block Location

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 3 of 9
petestrycharske
1479 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD Attribute for Block Location

All,

Is it possible to have the block attribute track position?  Specifically, is there a way to develop regions (or perhaps ACAD Architectural Zones) and use those to populate a block attribute?  I have a client who is using space on a factory floor to determine international customs and duties for their shipments and deliveries.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

ps. This is related to an older post: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2007-2008-2009/block-location-tracking-as-an-attribute/m-p/23...

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9

I am also interested in this topic.  Is it possible to have the block attribute track position?  Specifically, is there a way to develop regions (or perhaps ACAD Architectural Zones) and use those to populate a block attribute?  I have a client who is using space on a factory floor to determine international customs and duties for their shipments and deliveries.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: petestrycharske

Like a FIELD tracking a closed Pline or Region object perhaps?
Message 4 of 9
petestrycharske
in reply to: pendean

Dean,

I was asked to move this to the more current AutoCAD forum location.  While I have referenced this string, could you please post in the new forum string?  I'll do some investigating into Area and see what I discover.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

New Link: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017/autocad-attribute-for-block-location...

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 5 of 9

Hi @petestrycharske

While I take the time to try and create something on my desktop that does what you want, I am wondering if the blocks that are in the drawing are extracted you have the option to extract their position (location as well). Is this not sufficient for your needs?

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 9

John,

That's a good idea and shame on me for forgetting the data extraction.  I suppose I could define the regions in a spreadsheet and then determine the cost ramifications to moving things around.  It would still be nice to have this contained within an AutoCAD table and pull from an attribute, but this certainly may fit the bill.  Thanks for the idea and have a most blessed night!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 7 of 9

Thanks for being patient. I have included a Screencast of my possible solution for you.  In the video I take an existing block and open it with BE (Block Edit).

I use the ATTDEF command to add an attribute. In the value field, I select a field that includes the position of the block insertion. I save the block and then open Battman to update the existing block insertions with my new definition.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 8 of 9
john.vellek
in reply to: john.vellek

Good morning @petestrycharske

I was checking to see if my first solution of attribute extraction with the entity position worked out for you. I was also wondering if you had tried inserting a field in the attribute as I did in my attached Screencast.

Please let me know if either of these worked for you so that other forum users can benefit.

John Vellek

Message 9 of 9
john.vellek
in reply to: john.vellek

Good morning @petestrycharske,

I’ve just accepted the response to your post (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017/autocad-attribute-for-block-location/... as a solution with the understanding that it is the correct answer.

If my response did not work as an answer, please reply to the previously linked thread so that I can unmark the solution, and we can continue the conversation.
No action is required if my response did work as an answer, however I wanted to point out that if the opportunity arises again you can also click on the ‘Accept as Solution’ button if/when relevant so that others can more easily benefit from the information. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report