Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attribute extraction

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dennis
449 Views, 2 Replies

Attribute extraction

We have hundreds of drawings with attributed blocks which we want to extract data for a maintenance database then add info and import back into drawings.

When I use "ATTOUT" then import into excel the header order is different for every drawing so impossible to put into a common database without reordering the columns. There are 120 different headers.

Using "ATTEXT" I use a template file that sets the header order, however ATTEXT doesn't determine attributes that don't apply like ATTOUT does using <> it just leaves empty cells.

How can we define the header order using ATTOUT so it is consistant across all drawings and still get the <> for attributes that don't apply to a given block.

ATTIN needs the <> info, it doesn't work with a file generated from ATTEXT that only has empty cells which it treats as an empty attribute which it can't find and fails.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: dennis

Hi

Have you tried the  Data extraction?

Once you creat a set up that works as you want you can save the file & just reuse it as you need to. You may need to check each time what dwg files its looking at though. I have found if you save it as a CSV file it works rather than trying to save as Excel. The CSV opens in in excel just the same.

It may not give you the result you are looking for but might be worth a try?

Message 3 of 3
dennis
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.,

I have tried Data extraction however this doesn't give me the block "Handle" or the "<>" required to import updated attribute data back into drawing via ATTIN .

ATTOUT seems to be the only way to get the "<>" entries where attributes don't apply to a given block, if the "<>" are missing and just an empty cell "ATTIN" stalls looking for the attribute that does not exist.

I could use "ATTEXT" and manually add the "<>" entries where required, however, 120 headers x 200 blocks per drawing x 1200 drawings, not really practical.

Ideally want to force ATTOUT to follow a given order for headers if possible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report