Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative hatch angle changes while plotting

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
autocad55X7Z
3781 Views, 22 Replies

Annotative hatch angle changes while plotting

We have set up a drawing with annotative hatches. The UCS of the drawing has been changed from world coordinates, and it is xref-ed into another file.

The base CAD file(D1), and the drawing it is xref-ed into (D2) are both set to this UCS in model and paperspace.

We are trying to print our drawing from the paperspace on D2. On screen, the hatches appear as we have set them. However on printing, the angle of the hatches change!

Cannot figure out what the issue is!!! Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks

Sroboshi

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
kadmonkee
in reply to: autocad55X7Z

have you tried using (mvsetup)

if you leave world coordinates on and create all your model space elements (D1) then xref into D2 in paper space viewport use MVSETUP to orient your view as needed.

another option - test the view in D1 create a viewport in D1 and set your scale for the viewport to match

settings from D1 and D2 may be different

in your Xref (D2) select the viewport and check settings

UCS per VP.PNG

If there is any information shared that is of value please give Kudos
If a solution is provided by any posters please mark them as Solved to benefit everyone else.
thank you
Message 3 of 23
autocad55X7Z
in reply to: kadmonkee

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried them both. Neither seems to fix the problem.

What I do not understand is how it appears at the correct angle when on screen, but the hatch angle changes when printed??!!!

Message 4 of 23
kadmonkee

are you printing to PDF or directly to a plotter?

there may be settings in the drivers causing this.

If a solution is provided by any posters please mark them as Solved to benefit everyone else.
thank you
Message 5 of 23
autocad55X7Z

I've tried printing to the plotter directly and as pdf - both seem to have the same problem. 

Message 6 of 23
kadmonkee

can you share the drawing ?

thank you
Message 7 of 23
autocad55X7Z

Hi,

I've created a stripped back version of the drawing which has some of the linework and hatches. The problem still exists.

Will really appreciate any help on this!

Thanks 

Message 8 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @autocad55X7Z,

I suggest that you first preform a little drawing maintenance: Audit, Purge, -PURGE>Regapps (over 11,000 regapps).

I switched the print device to AutoCAD PDF (General Documentation) and the hatch retains its orientation.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 9 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @autocad55X7Z,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 10 of 23
autocad55X7Z
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John,

Thanks for your message. However it hasn't solved the issue. Purge-regapps has definitely cleaned up the drawing, but the hatch angle is still off while plotting. I've tried a few plot devices as well including the AutoCAD pdf, they all print the same! 

Message 11 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @autocad55X7Z,

I am sorry it didn't work on your side as it did on mine. I suggest that you create a new user account on your computer with administrator permissions. Logon with the new account, start AutoCAD (without any customizations) and see if changing the plot e device to the AutoCAD PDF  corrects the problem.

I will take a look again at your file and see if there is anything else that I might suggest. Thanks for your patience.

[EDIT] I looked at both the D1 and D2 files again.  In each, I ran Audit, Purge, and -Purge>Regapps. I then saved each and reload the xref. With the AutoCAD PDF driver selected, I plot to PDF and the hatch is retained in the designated angle.

I have attached my versions of your files for you to try on your side.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @autocad55X7Z,

Have you had the opportunity to try the files I attached? I am hoping that my suggestion  will fix this issue for you.

John Vellek

Message 13 of 23
autocad55X7Z

Thanks John.

Tried everything but it nothing seems to work. We've tried opening the file on a few computers in the office, but the problem doesn't go away. I have now gone back to using NON-ANNOTATIVE hatches on this drawing and this has resolved the problem for the moment, not ideal though!

I'm guessing the problem is to do with annotative hatches then, wondering if there's a system variable that I need to set right?

Message 14 of 23
autocad55X7Z

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a91938...

This is something I've just come across. Does this mean that annotative hatches do not work with a rotated UCS? 

Message 15 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @autocad55X7Z,

This article refers to the view being "twisted".  Annotative Hatch objects  will always match the orientation of the layout.

In re-visiting your D1 file, the hatch does seem to retain orientation until you perform a REGEN.

Capture.PNG

If you rotate the view, the annotative hatch will remain in the orientation to the layout  and not the model geometry. This doesn't always show up instantly but a REGEN should force it to show up the way it will plot.

Does this make sense?

John Vellek

Message 16 of 23
autocad55X7Z

Hi John,

I need to rephrase my question I have realized. 

We always create our live CAD drawing in one file, and then xref it into another blank file where we create the drawing to be printed with title block etc. I have now realized that the hatch orientation changes in paperspace viewports in the live drawing itself, as well as the file into which it is xrefed. The hatch orientation change has to do with viewing the drawing in a viewport. A regen straightens the hatches, but a second regen again changes the orientation. 

Given that we rotate the UCS on most drawings to make it work better on the sheet, we are unable to use annotative hatches because of this. We have only recently started using annotative hatches, and I feel like I am missing something quite obvious.

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks

Message 17 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @autocad55X7Z,

I see in my previous post that the article I referred to did not get retained when I put in the URL. I have not yet rediscovered where it is located. I did add a URL link though to a video which reiterates that the Annotative hatches will realign to the layout.  With this said, I suggest you use a traditional hatch for this operation.

John Vellek

Message 18 of 23
sroboshi.das

Hi

I seem to have finally found the solution to this. 

Hatch orientation was changing in viewports where the UCS was set to anything other than world. 

1. Set SAVEFIDELITY=0. This is because older versions of CAD (older than 2011) do not seem to be fully compatible with annotative hatches. Also, we have changed the default save settings to save at 2010. Anything older than this still creates problems. 

2. All objects must be hatched in the same UCS in which the viewport will be set up. (The only constraint is that viewports with varying UCSs still have the same issue). 

Sroboshi

Message 19 of 23
CADmgrMike
in reply to: sroboshi.das

Just and FYI that this discussion helped with a similar issue I'm having.

In the case of the AR-CONC hatch, with annotative hatching and a rotated viewport, the hatch triangles will blow up also.

Mike Porter
https://provostandpritchard.com/
Message 20 of 23
CAD_SSK890

Have anyone solved this issue yet?

I'm having same issue.

- hatch is annotative

- annotative is turned on

-model space is in world ucs

-each viewport layouts are all rotated, have different ucs

-hatch displays correct orientation to world ucs on model space and viewport layout ucs on screen

but when it is printed, hatching angle only print to world ucs orientation

doesn't matter if it is printed by one sheet or published with multiple sheets..

hatching orientation will not maintain the angle to viewport ucs

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost