Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A way to set the viewport in layout tab through model space?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
unggansu2
1786 Views, 6 Replies

A way to set the viewport in layout tab through model space?

Good evening, sir.

It's me again, with another similar yet different problem. As the title suggests, I need to find a way to set viewports (VP) without entering the layout tab at all, preferably without third-party software (although plugins and LISPs are still welcome).

This is due to the high object count in my drawings, which makes me reluctant to enter the layout tab. Whenever I switch to it, the CAD software completely freezes for around 1 to 2 minutes. This is acceptable when I'm working on smaller projects, but not when working on larger ones. Unfortunately, I am unable to upload the drawing I mentioned due to an NDA issue.

Once again, I humbly request your assistance regarding this matter.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Valentin-WSP
in reply to: unggansu2

@unggansu2 ,

@unggansu2 wrote:

... I need to find a way to set viewports (VP) without entering the layout tab at all,

preferably without third-party software (although plugins and LISPs are still welcome).

This is due to the high object count in my drawings, which makes me reluctant to enter the layout tab. ...

One option would be to use the DesignCenter and drag the layouts. 

Of course, this will require you to know the locations and scale of all viewports and set them up in an empty drawing before dragging them into your drawing. 

ValentinWSP_0-1715162166026.png

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 3 of 7
unggansu2

Hello, thank you for your kind response.

It is indeed an option that is new to me, but unfortunately that is not quite the one that I am looking for. Because I need to be able edit or change the informations on the paperspace in layout tab, including (and especially) the viewport.

I was able to edit some informations such as name, project locations, et cetera through the usage of blocks. The viewport, however, still needing me to go into the layout tab manually to edit.

Message 4 of 7
pendean

@unggansu2 wrote:

....The viewport, however, still needing me to go into the layout tab manually to edit.

You are aware that MVIEW command can use a Named View from modelspace (along with your CANNOSCALE settings at the time of creation) as a layout viewport parameter, yes?

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-731B2752-B9E2-443E-816A-9B4851296455#:~:text=...

Message 5 of 7
unggansu2
in reply to: pendean

Good morning, good sir.

I am very grateful for the new insight that you have given me, but unfortunately, after three testings, it is still not quite the solution that I am looking for. It appears that I still have to manually edit into the layout tab in order to change the view.

Message 6 of 7
cadffm

Hi,

if you learn how to do it by keyboard only,

you will able to write a simple script.

A script will do the work as you would do it manually, but while you trink coffee or do some other things.

Are all Layouts the same, just with another Modelview? Setup your Standard Layout, name it XYZ.

If you have your coord and name list (where to view, label),

you script can create a copy of XYZ,

name it,

jump into the viewport,

Zoom to coordinates,

Zoom specif scale (if needed),

jump out the viewport,

Change titleblock information or whatever steps more

If you start to learn by scratch, it will take time. For script- experienced keyboard-input knowing users, it is not that hard.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
cadffm

You can't do it without going thru your layouts, but a script can do it without your present.

You need a list of model coordinates, thats all.

Sebastian

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report