Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Rifle Stock Design Help

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
technicalvancemonaghan
6796 Views, 9 Replies

3D Rifle Stock Design Help

Recently I've been working on designing a rifle stock in AutoCAD. Since I am far from being an expert at the program, I am having problems with creating the overall shape of the stock. I've tried creating the basic shape of the piece, and attempted to fillet that piece to the correct dimensions, and I have also tried to loft a set of cross-sections of the stock along a set of guides. Filleting the basic shape did not result in a piece with the proper specifications, and lofting resulted in some disgusting parts of the stock. Since that I have run out of ideas on how I should accomplish this.

Main Stock Piece 2.jpgMain Stock Piece.jpg

In my drawing I have included the cross-sections A-G, and omitted section B, as it was not needed. Some of the dimensions are illegible, if required I will specify the correct dimensions.

*If I am breaking any rules please notify me, as I am new to the forums*

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

I usually don't use fillet to get the shape. Get more of the cross sections and loft them.

(Can't see the image very well so I can't align your cross sections, but when drawing fuselage of an airplane, this was the method I used)

Capture.JPG

Message 3 of 10

Im sure filleting the basic shape is not a viable option anymore. What I did was loft all the cross-sections on guide paths that resemble the shape of the stock I can only create cross-sections, that are provided by the drawings. I was also thinking of having to complete the stock in sections, and merging them together instead of lofting the entire shape. Basically I did what you are doing, except Section D-D is to have the more flat portion upside down from what you have, which caused the lofting errors. Also are you sure you cant zoom in on the image, because thats what I have to do in order to view the dimensions. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 3.28.04 PM.png

Message 4 of 10

Autocad doesn't have the capabilities as Inventor, you could ask that group to see if they have tricks to get it to work.

I can't even get it to follow 2 guides with autocad because of the curves.

Capture.JPG

Message 5 of 10

Autocad is fully capable of performing this however the loft command requires specific parameters. Try turning that one curve into a spline. Thats what I had to do the get the curves to show up. Ive had to play around with this for a while in order to achieve the curves. I also have a friend who works in inventor, and we have had troubles trying to get this to work. Maybe theres some sort of sculpting tool that will fix the errors make by lofting.Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 9.46.12 PM.png

Message 6 of 10

The cross sections only follow 1 path which make it looks funny.

Capture.JPG

Message 7 of 10

Wait, you said path. I used guides. If not the other guide is flawed, and something is wrong with it. Im trying to build the other end of the stock to see if the lofting method will work for the other end.

Message 8 of 10

Wait, you said path. I used guides. If not the other guide is flawed, and something is wrong with it. Im trying to build the other end of the stock to see if the lofting method will work for the other end. A path only uses one line to guide the entire shape.

Message 9 of 10

Guides doesn't do anything when I tried.

Message 10 of 10

That must mean that the guides are not intersecting with the 2 cross-sections. There should be an error showing in the command line.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report