Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Objects jagged and rough

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
ahashash
1097 Views, 11 Replies

3D Objects jagged and rough

Piping lines and fittings are jagged and rough, especially when zoomed in.  Temporary fix is disabling Hardware Acceleration.  

Using new HP ZBook with NVIDIA Quadro P3200 video card.  64gb ram, i7-8850H CPU @2.6GHz, 64-bit Windows 10.

Running AutoCAD 2018, all drivers and updates current.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ennujozlagam
in reply to: ahashash

try adjust value of FACETRES and see if helps. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 12
imadHabash

any changes if you change your Visual Style ?

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
TheCADnoob

Not sure if this will help but have you tried adjusting your VIEWRES?

Also is that level of detail a detail actually needed? I might see if i could reduce the LOD if its not needed. If its a block pulled from a supplier see if they have a different version of it. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
ahashash
in reply to: ennujozlagam

I typically have my FACETRES set to 10, but at any other values the end result is the same.  😕 

When i change my visual style no changes occur, obviously with Wireframe the jagged edges go away because it isn't rendering anything.  

My VIEWRES is set to max.

My LOD isn't the issue, but TheCADnoob you're right, at this moment of the project I do not need it to be high.  There is just something wrong with an AutoCAD setting and I can't figure it out, it's driving me nuts. lol

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. 

Message 6 of 12
leeminardi

There are several potential causes including:

1. facetres - but you have tried other values and it has not made a difference.
  2. graphics board - could be defective, or have wrong driver.
  3. object too far from origin - this is often a problem with 3ds Max that has a double precision database that yield 7+ significant figures of precision.  AutoCAD supports 15+ significant figures or about 2 billion units plus or minus.  What are the coordinates of the objects?  Could they be a billion units from 0,0,0  WCS?

If you create a file with just a few of the pipes and valves and position them near 0,0,0 do you still see the problem?

lee.minardi
Message 7 of 12
ahashash
in reply to: leeminardi

@leeminardi Thanks for the reply and suggestions.  The video card and laptop are brand new, IT has checked driver and it's up to date as well.  

My coordinates aren't too far away from origin, 6 decimal places (see attachment).

So I did a test, placed pipe, fittings, and equipment CLOSER to the origin... it appears the graphics are better than when they are far out on the projects coordinates.  

Graphics aren't great, but a lot better.  This is interesting. 

Message 8 of 12
leeminardi

Please give the following commands and post the results:

(setq min (getvar "extmin"))

(setq max (getvar "extmax"))

These are the extents of your drawing.

lee.minardi
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Are the 3D objects SAT or STEP files, etc....? Did they come from a supplier. Some imported 3D objects do not translate well into AutoCAD unless modeled correctly. I would check that first before changing any settings in your program.

Message 10 of 12
ahashash
in reply to: leeminardi

@leeminardi 

Command: (setq min (getvar "extmin"))
(1.40437e+06 759675.0 215.498)

Command: (setq max (getvar "extmax"))
(1.40514e+06 760161.0 479.619)

Message 11 of 12
ahashash
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous they are not STEP or SAT files.  Just standard pipes and valves in AutoCAD Plant 3D.

Message 12 of 12
leeminardi

Try

1. setting the units to decimal
  2. use move and select all and then move by -1400000, -760000
  3. check the image quality

Your are using 7 of the 15 significant figures of the data precision to position the geometry a million units away from the world origin.

lee.minardi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report