AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selection box not appearing

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
1073 Views, 15 Replies

Selection box not appearing

Good morning, 

Recently I have been getting the following issue more and more often. I have been using AutoCAD 2018 for MacBook for a long time but over the past few weeks it happens that I cannot see the selection box. 

AutoCAD works perfectly and I am completely able to work on it normally, almost. When having to select something, the cursor works and the selected objects do get highlighted but I cannot see the limits of the selection box (dashed line with blue or green shade) and it is actually quite irritating.

It is worth mentioning that this happens exclusively at the moment the software is started -- never after a while.

When this happens, I need to restart the computer. It usually starts working okay after that but it is already lost time. 

Would you happen to know what could this be? 

Is it a glitch of the software? Screenshot - it is clearly visible that some lines, hatches, etc. are selected as they are highlighted, but the limits of the selection box (dashed line with blue or green shade) are not visibleScreenshot - it is clearly visible that some lines, hatches, etc. are selected as they are highlighted, but the limits of the selection box (dashed line with blue or green shade) are not visible

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Is this a problem in ALL files, or just this one?
Is your active layer by chance turned off?
Or did you recently upgrade to a newer MacOS? Or something else change with the PC?

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi!

It happens randomly, the moment I open AutoCAD. It can be any file but it can as well be the "drawing1" file that opens first when you run the software.

Nope, not turned off!

Well, I did actually upgrade to iOS Catalina. 

oh, and as well, I recently also got the license and downloaded AutoCAD2020 but I prefer using 2018 so remained there.

p.s. when using lasso the limits are shown!

Message 4 of 16
maxim_k

Hi Kristian,

>>>>>Well, I did actually upgrade to iOS Catalina.
Have you installed this update:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-for-...

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Aha! This could be the reason. 

In the meantime, I decided to erase the software, at the moment downloading agin from the official site. I guess it should be the latest version, right?

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

Downloaded and upgraded, still not working 😞

Message 7 of 16
maxim_k

And your Mac model is....

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Hi there,

I wanted to tag on to this thread as I've been experiencing a similar issue but I have not been able to find a solution. I've been using AutoCAD LT for MAC 2019 for almost 2 full years now. Originally this was installed for my MacBook pro 2013 (graphics intel iris 1536 MB). Everything worked perfectly and this year I purchased a new MacBook pro 2020 (graphics Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB).

For some reason on my 2013 MacBook pro, everything works as normal however on my new MacBook pro 2020, the selection box does not show up whenever I use a tool that needs it ie. stretch, select, match properties etc.

Both Macs are running the same Catalina 10.15.7 vs. I've tried selection cycling at -2 to 2. 

Any tips would be much appreciated! 

Thank you!!

Message 9 of 16
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Louise,

Can you describe your problem in more details? OP wrote that it is impossible to see selection window inside drawing window. Do you have the same issue?
Have you updated 2019 version with this Update?

Do you have this issue in all of your drawings, even newly created?

Do you have this issue always? Or only from time to time?

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

Hello Maxim,

Thanks for your help!

OP wrote that it is impossible to see selection window inside drawing window. Do you have the same issue? - yes, there is nothing when I use the selection tool. You cannot even see the mouse pointer. Unsure if this short video helps?

Have you updated 2019 version with this Update? - I've just downloaded this and tried to install it however it comes up with a warning as attached. Unsure why that is. It's a LT version, could that be the reason?

Do you have this issue in all of your drawings, even newly created? - Yes, all my drawings, even newly created one.

Do you have this issue always? Or only from time to time? - The box actually worked for perhaps 1 hour yesterday and since then it's never been back again. This is the only period of time since using my new laptop that it's ever worked.

Thank you so much for your help!

Louise

Message 11 of 16
maxim_k

Sorry, as you have LT version, you need this Update:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt-for-mac/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-l...
Try to install it.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 16
maxim_k

>>>>>The box actually worked for perhaps 1 hour yesterday and since then it's never been back again.
If Update will not resolve the problem with selection window, try to Reset AutoCAD by selecting menu "AutoCAD LT" -> "Reset AutoCAD"

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

Hi Maxim,

It seems that this item has already been installed - please see attached image for reference.

Thank you!

Message 14 of 16
maxim_k

OK, what about Resetting AutoCAD?

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

Hello Maxim,

Sorry I had missed this post of yours - I tried the resetting and it worked!!

THANK YOU!!!

Message 16 of 16
maxim_k

Good news!
Most likely, AutoCAD crashed or some kind of application glitch caused the selection window to stop displaying.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report