AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user looking to invest

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
468 Views, 4 Replies

New user looking to invest

hi guys, im an electrician who has made the move from the job site to the office to become a cad engineer in M&E (mechanical& electrical services). My current work is purely 2D lighting layouts, however in due time i would like to learn how to do 3D work on cad as well as 2D (in a year or 2 when ive really got the hang of 2D. 

Im looking to invest in a macbook pro, i was looking at a 16GB ram,256ssd, 1.4ghz intel i5 quadcore processor macbook pro 13 inch, i am between offices alot up and down the UK hence why im choosing a laptop. 

I would like your opinions please as to whether a macbook pro with the mention spec is worth investing in long term and whether it will do the job i am looking for it to do. Im also going with mac as I absolutely hate windows.  Please leave me your honest thoughts !

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Petar,

I think AutoCAD should work fine on Mac model you mentioned in your post (I believe it is new Mid 2019 MacBook Pro 13").
>>>>is worth investing in long term and whether it will do the job i am looking for it to do
Personally I'm still using MacBook Pro 15" late 2013 without problems.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 5
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Question: are you expecting to only draw "dumb" lines in plain AutoCAD for your job/office, and hard to set up BOM and other features?

I ask because AutoCADMEP is a specifically designed variant of AutoCAD that is designed for interior MEP design tasks, loaded up with discipline specific tools and features, and 3D, but it only runs in Windows OS https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad/included-toolsets/autocad-mep

Then there is REVIT with the MEP module for building wide MEP design abilities even farther advanced than AutocAD MEP is design tools and 3D MEP design, but it also is only runs in Windows OS https://www.autodesk.com/products/revit/mep

And if you are in the larger project Electrical Design needs there is AutoCAD Electrical (yes, you guessed it, only in WIndows OS) https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad/included-toolsets/autocad-electrical

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you for taking the time to reply ! Ill keep that in kind about your MBP

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

For the foreseeable future i am only going to be doing 2D drawings for at least the next 2 years and longer, i would like to learn 3D at some point.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report