AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer won't print and strange text gaps when trying to print or export to pdf

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1251 Views, 6 Replies

Layer won't print and strange text gaps when trying to print or export to pdf

I was working on a drawing in AutoCAD LT Mac and it looks just the way I wanted in model space and also in paper space. When I try to print it however it looks wrong. The layer is set visible and to print. It has default linetypes. I have tried changing the items that do not appear to different layers that are visible, it does not make them visible. Another strange thing is that I have some mtext and it also looks fine in in model and paper space but when I print to PDF or export to PDF, the text is missing parts of it like someone went over it with an eraser. I can't figure this out because I can't think of anything that I changed to even cause this.

This below is a screen shot of how it should appear...

AsItShouldAppear.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This below is a screen shot of how it actually appears

AsItActuallyAppears.png

--------

Notice the whiteout marks on the text above.

Also the red wall injection poiints are not visible on this PDF image

despite being set to plot and being visible in paper space & model space.

I am clueless as to what to do or why this is happening. Any help is greatly appreciated.

*****Update*****

I decided to trry actually printing the drawing and the items that are not visible or distorted when printing or exporting to PDF will actually print to paper the only problem is that the text and the "red line-wall injection point" markings appear slightly fainter than they should appear.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

So I am still struggling with this and wanted to add more information. I have tried batchprinting to PDF and Printer-Print-to-PDF and Export to PDF and all 3 methods yield a PDF file that is slightly distorted and missing a complete layer. What I find strange though is that the Thumbnail for the PDF actually shows the missing layer if you look closely at it, however the actual PDF is missing that layer.

Screen Shot2.png

This is above is the same PDF file in a window but set to show the thumbnail image with it. The red marking on the perimeter wall are visible in the thumbnail but not in the actual PDF.

Message 3 of 7
maxim_k

Hi,

It is hard to answer your question without having DWG or at least problem PDF file at hand.
Can you attach one of them?
Have you tried to open PDF file in other than Preview app PDF viewer?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks, I have attached the DWG & PDF genereated through the Export command.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Ok this is very strange to me. The pdf I just uploaded looks Exactly the way I want it to when I click on the link I just posted here. Which means the problem is probably somewhere other than the PDF file. However if I view the PDF on my computer in a variety of programs I have the problems mentioned early with missing layer & slight distortion.

Message 6 of 7
maxim_k

I believe that the case of the issue is in two facts:

1/ The objects you cannot see with Preview app have lineweight equal 0.00 (zero)

2/ The Preview app doesn't display such objects in PDF file with certain zoom levels - it doesn't show them when you open PDF and see the entire sheet, but if you will zoom PDF file, at some zoom level they become visible.

Adobe Reader shows such lines at all zoom levels:

2015-10-08 21-52-58 DrawingXXX.pdf.png

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

I appreciate you taking look. I tried changing the corresponding layers line weights to differing values and test printing but still had the same issues.
I will probably make a new template without so much layer clutter and perhaps start over so I hopefully don't run into this issue again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report