AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I tell what scale an object is in?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1217 Views, 6 Replies

How do I tell what scale an object is in?

New AutoCAD 2016 user here.

I have a layout that looks the way I want it to, but I can't tell what scale it's in. The page setup window and properties inspector are telling me that the viewport is in a 1:1 scale, but that obviously doesn't mean 1"=1". Other posts have told me to go to View>Viewports>Scale, but when I go to View>Viewports, there is no Scale item on the menu.

This is what I'm looking at:

Flat A.png

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

Double left click in the middle of the drawing, look below, right hand side it should pop up the scale.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

1:1 means one plotted unit = one model unit or "full scale"

however

That doesn't mean it was dimensioned n the same manner, if that drawing assumes on unit is one foot and draws a rectangle 4 units by 6 units, then that foot becomes a plotted inch.  Post the drawing.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Dear Mr. grissomofnerk 

Please find the attached image, specifying how to get into your view port scale.

Hope this could help you out....

Regards

DMC

Message 5 of 7
dannyk

That is to clarify the Scale issues:

The Layout is a paper representation of your drawing. It should have a Named Page Setup attached to it and plotted always as a layout in 1:1. That means the Plotter Media and the Layout are Identical In Dimensions.

Within the Layout, You should Create a viewport and scale it to show a certain part of the model. The fastest way to do it is select the viewport frame and change its annotation scale. Another way to do it, is create a Model Space Named View at certain scale and then restore it in the Layout's Viewport.

Use the Quick Properties to modify the Annotation Scale of a Selected Viewport.

dannyk
Message 6 of 7
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

As @Patchy mentions in his post, if you double-click in the viewport you will now be in modelspace and along the bottom right of your toolbar you will see a scalelist with the current viewport scale listed.

Note: It is often a good practice to lock your viewport once you have set the scale so you don't accidentally change it by errant zoom in or out.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem.
Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts fully solved your issue or answered your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report