AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AutoCAD LT for a MAC work well?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
katestech
1599 Views, 6 Replies

Does AutoCAD LT for a MAC work well?

I am a designer who has used AutoCAD on a PC.  I would like to put in on my MAC now - does it work well?  And can I transfer workable drawings to someone who is on a PC?

Thanks, Kate

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: katestech

AutoCAD/LT for MAC looks nothing like the Windows interface: will that freak you out?
Other than that the files are completely interchangeable, you don't need to do anything special to the files you are in.
Message 3 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @katestech,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD for Mac forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

What kind of design do you do in AutoCAD LT?  That might dictate whether a platform change will work well for you. AutoCAD LT for Mac works great on my Macbook but it does not have identical features to its Windows counterpart. There are no Object Enablers for instance that will allow special "objects" from vertical products such as AutoCAD Civil 3D to work fully in the Mac version.

Files coming from the Mac to a PC user however should have no issues at all as the files are identical.

One nice thing about a subscription license for the Mac is that you can actually run  the Mac and Windows versions on the same Mac as long as you have installed a license of Windows into a VM such as Bootcamp, Parallels, or VMware Fusion.  This gives you the flexibility of running either version when appropriate.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 7
katestech
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I think I will get the 30 day trial of the AutoCAD LT for MAC and see how it works. I just got a new computer - OS Sierra 10.12.6. Will AutoCAD 17 or 18 work with this? Will I still be able to use files form AutoCAD2006 and before? Also, if I buy a Autocad lt subscription for my MAC can I run it on another computer in Windows (or do I have to get a separate Windows subscription?) I heard you can use your subscription on 3 different computers.

Thanks,

Kate
Message 5 of 7
maxim_k

Hi Kate,

@Kate.cost.stech wrote:
...Will AutoCAD 17 or 18 work with this? Will I still be able to use files form AutoCAD2006 and before? ..

Yes, AutoCAD 2017 for Mac will work on it. 2018 version is not released at the moment, but should be available soon. And yes, you will be able to continue to work with the drawings, created in AutoCAD 2006. There are some limitations related to the objects created with AutoCAD verticals, but with plain AutoCAD drawings you will not have problems. You also will be not able to see and edit Windows OLE objects in the drawings - this is platform (OS) specific limitation.

The full list of differences you can find here:

https://www.autodesk.com/compare/compare-features/autocad-products

@Kate.cost.stech wrote:
...if I buy a Autocad lt subscription for my MAC can I run it on another computer in Windows (or do I have to get a separate Windows subscription?) ...

Yes, you can run AutoCAD on another computer in Windows. Here is an exception from AutoCAD EULA:

"Licensee may also Install a single additional copy of such Licensed Materials on one (1) additional Computer, on a Stand-alone Basis; provided that (i) such additional copy of the Licensed Materials is Accessed solely by the same person as the primary copy; (ii) such person is Licensee (if Licensee is an individual) or an employee of Licensee; (iii) such person Accesses the additional copy solely to perform work while away from that person’s usual work location and solely for Licensee’s Internal Business Needs; and (iv) the primary and additional copies are not Accessed at the same time."

@Kate.cost.stech wrote:
... I heard you can use your subscription on 3 different computers....

No, this is not correct. Only on 2 machines.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 6 of 7
katestech
in reply to: pendean

Thanks. I will try the MAC version and see if it freaks me out! Good to know the drawings are interchangeable.
Message 7 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @katestech,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. Please mark a post or posts as accepted solutions if they resolved the issue or give me a bit more detail on this issue so we can continue to work towards getting this solved.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost