AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimensions not going where selected or showing zero

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
charlie
3599 Views, 13 Replies

dimensions not going where selected or showing zero

linear or angular dimensions:

select 1st point, move cursor to second point, possible dimension number (and position for DIMANG) shows as the cursor moves.

click

it either just goes somewhere else entirely - apparently snapping to nowhere or worse just becomes zero.

it used to happen on 2018 but right clicking and temporarily suspending OSNAP by selecting none seemed to deal with it. 

no longer in 2019

has anyone else encountered this? and if so how did you solve it

thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
maxim_k
in reply to: charlie

Hi,

Do you have this problem with all of your drawings? Even with newly created?
If it is specific drawing. Where you put dimensions - in Model or in Layout?
If you are trying to dimension 2D drawing, are you sure all objects are flat and lay on the same XY plane (have Z coordinate equal zero)?

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 14
charlie
in reply to: maxim_k

Not all of the drawings but across a lot of them
Dimensions always in paperspace layouts
Often dim’ing up 3d objects, but if that was causing the issue, I'd expect it not to be able to select the 2nd point or object, it is the 3rd click to position the dimension in paper space where it all goes wrong.
And it is quite random when it decides to do it
Message 4 of 14
maxim_k

So you put dimensions in Paper space for 3D objects in viewport.
Seems the only one solution is to disable running OSNAPs and use "one-click" OSNAP for each point you pick for dimension.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 14
charlie

I had assumed that would always work but today with OSNAP and Osnap tracking off in 2019 it carried in doing it on DIMANG. I had to downsave & go back a version
Message 6 of 14
maxim_k

Can you attach one of the problem drawings here?
I want to try to figure out what's going on (I rarely use such workflow with dimensioning 3D objects in Paper Space, so I don't have such kind of drawings).

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 14
pendean

Not having any running osnaps solve the problem?

Are you using 3DOSNAPs by chance with your 3D objects https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/E...
Message 8 of 14
charlie
in reply to: pendean

‘Fraid not on the DIMANG 

its a new issue I’ve not had before. No running snaps used to be the workaround 

Message 9 of 14
charlie

i've cleaned out the rest of the drawing, shifted the dimensions out of the way, so you can see if you can repeat that 41.89º angle, every time i try it, the final clicks produces the dimension you have to zoom a long way out to see, without fail, all snaps turned off. the only way i got that dimension was by dragging the one that is many metres away and dragging it into place - not an ideal solution 

Message 10 of 14
maxim_k

You have troubles because the endpoints of the line you use to define angle (I marled it with red color on your drawing) have different Z coordinates - I showed them with multileaders with ID command contents.

As soon as I draw line (or better - polyline, as it always have Z coordinates of the vertices equals to each other) which is parallel XY plane where you want to put dimension - angular dimension appears in correct place.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 14
charlie

thanks very much, but why would it do that?

you click on the 2 lines to make the angle, the correct angle hovers beneath the cursor, it's all good.

then you select a location and it shoots off the page.

i do a great deal of 3d modelling then dimension up for fabrication so i've little control over the z-point it snaps to if my viewport is viewing the extrusion in an orthogonal view which is usually the case.

i guess i'll have to try some workaround - it never used to do it, this started a few versions ago

but well spotted though.

Message 12 of 14
maxim_k

>>>>>i guess i'll have to try some workaround

I have found workaround:

Use V (Vertex) option inside angular dimension, then dimension puts in correct place:

Command:  DIM
Select objects or specify first extension line origin or [Angular/Baseline/Continue/Ordinate/aliGn/Distribute/Layer/Undo]:a
Select arc, circle, line or [Vertex]:v
Specify angle vertex or [Undo]:
Specify endpoint for first side of angle or [Undo]:
Specify endpoint for second side of angle or [Undo]:
Specify angular dimension location or [Mtext/Text/text aNgle/Undo]:
Select objects or specify first extension line origin or [Angular/Baseline/Continue/Ordinate/aliGn/Distribute/Layer/Undo]:
Select extension line origin to continue or [Baseline]:
Command: 

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 14
charlie

that's a route to angular dims i had not noticed before. i'm puzzled by the fact that there's only 2 selection points for the angle - surely there should be 3? maybe i'm being a little thick but i couldn't get the right angle to show up on the one i just tried elsewhere in the drawing. 

the other option i think i may have to roll with until this gets recognised as a bit of a glitch is to draw a poly line on top of the 3d object i am trying to dimensions to force the dim command to select in the plane it so nearly works in

Message 14 of 14
charlie

and i may as well leave my latest discovery in this thread unless you think i should flag it up separately:

if i edit the 3d compound solids, so show history, then use ctrl to select the bit then grip edit one of the point, then about 15 of the dimensions change, really quite radically,

that's a new one for me 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report