AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default layer for text/mtext

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
5420 Views, 21 Replies

Default layer for text/mtext

I'm not sure why this is not a standard AutoCad variable (or if it is - please tell me; I could not find in help files);

> How can I get new text or mtext automatically assigned to a default layer in Autocad LT ('t' or 'text'), just like dimensions get automatically assigned to default layer with 'dimlayer' system variable?

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Paul_Gander
in reply to: Anonymous

You can create a tool palette text tool. The tool properties give you the option to set the layer, colour, linetype etc for the new text.
Or you can add a layer command to the ribbon button macros for text/mtext to set the desired layer current before creating the text.
You cannot create a new/modified command that can be typed at the command line however.
I don't know why Autodesk didn't create a similar variable for text when they introduced dimlayer. It seems like a sensible suggestion. Although, I rarely put all my annotation on a single layer.
Message 3 of 22
hwalker

See the attached screenshot for a tool palette button with a layer.

Note the very first time you create the button the layer needs to be in the drawing. HOWEVER you don't have to worry about it after that. If the layer is not in the drawing it will automatically been created if you use the button

Capture.PNG

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm on Mac - I tried to create a custom tool palette but learned that is a windows only feature 😞

Message 5 of 22
Victoria.Studley

Hi @Anonymous,

I've moved your post over to the AutoCAD for Mac forum, where you should get recommendations that are specific to the Mac version of the program.

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 6 of 22
cadffm

There are HPLAYER and XREFLAYER too, not only DIMLAYER.
But of course not a "TXTLAYER".

Write your own program (API)or you have to create your own menumacro to set the current layer and start the text command or Mtext.

Command Layer or CLAYER
TEXT or MTEXT

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-f...

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: cadffm

I’m not much of a programmer, so I think API is over my head. I’ll try creating a button with a macro! I prefer keying in commands though...
Message 8 of 22
dennis_collin

This is new feature in AutoCAD 2020.1 update

New variable

Textlayer <enter>

(set layer name, defaults to current layer)

Of course we need similar options for dimensions , leaders and hatch too, or use a tool pallete instead

Message 9 of 22
maxim_k
in reply to: dennis_collin

Hi @dennis_collin
>>>>>This is new feature in AutoCAD 2020.1 update
>>>>>New variable
>>>>>Textlayer
Unfortunately this new variable is not available in AutoCAD for Mac 2020 (you are posting on AutoCAD for Mac Forum)

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 10 of 22
dennis_collin
in reply to: maxim_k

My mistake, sorry.

Hopefully it will be coming to you in a point release soon 🙂

Message 11 of 22
cadffm
in reply to: maxim_k

In AutoCAD 2020 (for Windows) also not, but as dennis.collin wrote: In 2020.1

EDITED

Now  i can see it myself, Toolsets and more.. what was they smoking at the meeting to perform these things in a MAC help?

excuse the interruption

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 12 of 22
dennis_collin

I see there is a 2020.1 update for both AutoCAD & LT for Mac. Released just a few days ago.

Release notes just seems to contain bug fixes, but I was wondering if they included the TEXTLAYER variable in this latest update? 

Don't have a MAC system to test on, but curious if this is the case or not.

Message 13 of 22
maxim_k

>>>>> was wondering if they included the TEXTLAYER variable in this latest update?
No, not in this update.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 14 of 22
Leaf.chai

Hi,

AutoCAD for Mac 2020.1 doesn't contain the TEXTLAYER features.

You can join our beta program to see more information.

Thanks,

Leaf

Leaf Chai
AutoCAD QA Analyst

Message 15 of 22
suzette.tapia

Hi @cadffm,

I am glad you found the topic you were looking for despite landing to a broken page earlier. Can you still retrace how you accessed the broken Help link? This will help us find the source and fix the link.

Thank you!

Suzette S. Tapia

DCP-XD Senior Content Experience Designer
Message 16 of 22
cadffm
in reply to: suzette.tapia

Hi @suzette.tapia 

i tried to understand your questions, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I (we) found the update1 information in 2020 for MAC help, i guess i opened the help and searched for TEXTLAYER to find this page.

The page is deleted now as you can see (link broken),

but you will find a new page with even informations about the toolsets (not about TEXTLAYER, but toolsets still not available on MAC, or am wrong?

Open the help and search for 'update', one of the results is this page:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDMAC/2020/ENU/?guid=AutoCAD_ReleaseNotes_autocad_2020_updates_html

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 17 of 22
suzette.tapia

Hi @cadffm,

Thank you for the quick response. 

As you've mentioned, the topic must have been deleted from AutoCAD for Mac Help causing the broken link. I am trying to find out where you accessed that link from so that we can either delete it or redirect the URL to the correct topic, and not display the broken link.

Suzette S. Tapia

Message 18 of 22
cadffm

In the past i used the help search-function 

Search string: TEXTLAYER

Today: UPDATE

Or you open the help 

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDMAC/2020/ENU/

And go to the node "One AutoCAD Release Notes"

😕

I am NOT an MAC User, so this online help is my only way to get information to help other (mac) users..

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 19 of 22
suzette.tapia

Thank you for the clarification, @cadffm!

I also got the broken link when I chose one of the suggested links when I typed a keyword on the browser. The issue was resolved when I cleared the cache, and then accessed Help again. I thought you clicked a broken link directly from the AutoCAD for Mac Help.

Thank you for using our online Help to help other AutoCAD (and AutoCAD for Mac) users.

Suzette S. Tapia

Message 20 of 22
Anonymous

Hi all,

I hope autodesk is hearing us here.

I think that an MLEADERLAYER command would be highly appreciated.

It's evident that this is missing among the others (HP, XREF, TEXT, DIM, CENTRE-LAYER)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report