AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Macro Crashing AutoCAD LT ... sometimes

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
seedstudiolandscapedesign
875 Views, 27 Replies

Custom Macro Crashing AutoCAD LT ... sometimes

I have a custom macro that I use to set the proper draw order of a standard set of layers in each of my drawings.  About half the time, this macro will crash AutoCAD.  Every drawing has the same set of layers, so I am at a loss as to what could be setting off the crash occasionally.

I've posted the macro here and would appreciate any assistance in debugging.

^C^Cexpert;1;;^C^C-La;A;d;temp;s;temp;;;;GRAPHSCR;-layer;thaw;"l-hardscape-hatch";;-layer;set;l-hardscape-hatch;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;back;-la;thaw;l-water;set;l-water;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;back;-la;thaw;l-mulch;set;l-mulch;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;back;-la;thaw;l-features-hatch;set;l-features-hatch;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;back;-la;thaw;l-fines;set;l-fines;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;back;-la;thaw;l-lawn;set;l-lawn;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;back;-la;thaw;l-stone;set;l-stone;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;back;-la;thaw;-render;set;-render;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;back;-la;thaw;-calcs;set;-calcs;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;back;-la;thaw;l-pl-groundcover;set;l-pl-groundcover;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;front;-la;thaw;l-pl-groundcover-e;set;l-pl-groundcover-e;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;front;-la;thaw;l-furniture;set;l-furniture;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;front;-la;thaw;l-features;set;l-features;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;front;-la;thaw;l-pl-shrubs;set;l-pl-shrubs;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;front;-la;thaw;l-pl-label;set;l-pl-label;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;front;-la;thaw;l-pl-shrubs-e-shade;set;l-pl-shrubs-e-shade;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;front;-la;thaw;l-pl-shrubs-e;set;l-pl-shrubs-e;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;front;-la;thaw;l-pl-trees;set;l-pl-trees;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;front;-la;thaw;l-pl-trees-e-shade;set;l-pl-trees-e-shade;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;front;-la;thaw;l-pl-trees-e;set;l-pl-trees-e;freeze;*;;_select;_auto;all;;draworder;previous;;front;-la;a;r;temp;;;re;
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Hi,

Does AutoCAD crashes completely? Or only macro stops to work correctly?
Can you attach one of your drawings where the macro crashing AutoCAD?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 28

Hi Maxim,

The macro completely crashes AutoCAD.  The files have a lot of custom blocks for my company so I'd rather not post it publicly.  I could possibly send you a stripped down file if that would be helpful, let me know.

Message 4 of 28

If the crash happens occasionally, than I'm afraid, it will be very difficult to diagnose the problem without real life drawing.
Maybe something goes incorrectly with a certain combination of the objects in the drawing, or for some other reason.
You can attach stripped version of one of your drawings, but I cannot guarantee that I'll be able to reproduce the crash.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 28

Hi Maxim,

Ok, thanks for the info.  For now I'd rather not post the drawing publicly and understand stripping down the drawing might not reproduce the crash.

Could I send it to you personally?  Or could you give me some things I might look for in the drawing first before sending over?

Message 6 of 28

Yes, you can send one of your drawings where the macro crashes AutoCAD to my mail:
mkanaev at yandex.ru

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 28

I just emailed you a file that has crashed using the macro above.  Let me know if you did not receive it for any reason.

Message 8 of 28

Hi Steve,

I received your email, but will be your look at your drawing only on Saturday.
Will inform you about the results.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 28

Sounds great, thank you Maxim.

Message 10 of 28

Steve,

I tried the macro in the file you sent me and have not managed to crash AutoCAD.
Are you using the file you sent to me as a Template for your drawings?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 28

Hi Maxim,

Yes, I use the file as a template base file, copying and pasting it to a new folder to begin a new project.  

For clarity, I am using AutoCAD LT 2017 for Mac if that matters.  I would get the same crash on occasion using AutoCAD LT 2016 for Mac as well.

Message 12 of 28

Just want to clarify once again:
Does AutoCAD crashes with CER? Do you see Custom Error Report window when it crashes?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 28

Hi Maxim,

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a Custom Error Report window after the crash.

To be really specific about what happens:

I've added the macro as a menu item under the Customize Interface Dialog, so I click on the menu and then the menu item containing the macro.  Most of the time (maybe 60%) it works perfectly.  Sometimes it workes perfectly, however the command line pops up when the macro has finished (which I usually keep hidden).  And sometimes AutoCAD crashes by simply vanishing from the screen.  

Let me know if I can provide any other details for you.  Thanks Maxim for your time 🙂

Message 14 of 28

What do you see at the command window when it pop ups at the end of the macro?

When AutoCAD vanishing from the screen - does it still run? You can check this with a small dot on the AutoCAD icon in the Dock.

Have you tried to assign macro to the button on Tool Sets palette instead of menu item?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 28

Just ran the macro to get you some additional info.  See below:

1 - Using a freshly opened file, I got the command line to pop-up on the first try.  See below for the contents of the command line.

2 - When AutoCAD crashes it completely closes, I have to restart and go through the welcome screen and drawing recovery dialog to get going again.  I also get the below recovery dialog on crash.

3 - I have not tried this option.

Dialog appears on crash:

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 12.03.15 PM.png

Command line contents after a successful run of macro (commandline pops up where it was previously hidden):

Command: draworder
Select objects: previous
7 found
Select objects:
Enter object ordering option [Above objects/Under objects/Front/Back] <Back>: back
Command: -la
-LAYER
Current layer:  "-CALCS"
Enter an option [?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]: thaw
Enter name list of layer(s) to thaw: l-pl-groundcover
Enter an option [?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]: set
Enter layer name to make current or <select object>: l-pl-groundcover
Enter an option [?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]: freeze
Enter name list of layer(s) to freeze or <select objects>: *
Cannot freeze layer "L-PL-GROUNDCOVER".  It is the CURRENT layer.
Enter an option [?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]:
Command: _select
Select objects: _auto
Select objects: all
12 found
Select objects:
12 found
Select objects:
Enter object ordering option [Above objects/Under objects/Front/Back] <Back>: front
-LAYER
Current layer:  "L-PL-GROUNDCOVER"
Enter an option [?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]: thaw
Enter name list of layer(s) to thaw: l-pl-groundcover-e
Enter an option [?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]: set
Enter layer name to make current or <select object>: l-pl-groundcover-e
Enter an option [?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]: freeze
Cannot freeze layer "L-PL-GROUNDCOVER-E".  It is the CURRENT layer.
Enter an option [?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]:
2 found
Select objects:
2 found
Select objects:
Enter object ordering option [Above objects/Under objects/Front/Back] <Back>: front
-LAYER
Current layer:  "L-PL-GROUNDCOVER-E"
Enter name list of layer(s) to thaw: l-furniture
Enter layer name to make current or <select object>: l-furniture
Cannot freeze layer "L-FURNITURE".  It is the CURRENT layer.
23 found
Select objects:
23 found
Select objects:
-LAYER
Current layer:  "L-FURNITURE"
Enter name list of layer(s) to thaw: l-features
Enter layer name to make current or <select object>: l-features
Cannot freeze layer "L-FEATURES".  It is the CURRENT layer.
53 found
Select objects:
53 found
Select objects:
-LAYER
Current layer:  "L-FEATURES"
Enter name list of layer(s) to thaw: l-pl-shrubs
Enter layer name to make current or <select object>: l-pl-shrubs
Cannot freeze layer "L-PL-SHRUBS".  It is the CURRENT layer.
95 found
Select objects:
95 found
Select objects:
-LAYER
Current layer:  "L-PL-SHRUBS"
Enter name list of layer(s) to thaw: l-pl-label
Enter layer name to make current or <select object>: l-pl-label
Cannot freeze layer "L-PL-LABEL".  It is the CURRENT layer.
96 found
Select objects:
96 found
Select objects:
-LAYER
Current layer:  "L-PL-LABEL"
Enter name list of layer(s) to thaw: l-pl-shrubs-e-shade
Enter layer name to make current or <select object>: l-pl-shrubs-e-shade
Cannot freeze layer "L-PL-SHRUBS-E-SHADE".  It is the CURRENT layer.
1 found
Select objects:
1 found
Select objects:
-LAYER
Current layer:  "L-PL-SHRUBS-E-SHADE"
Enter name list of layer(s) to thaw: l-pl-shrubs-e
Enter layer name to make current or <select object>: l-pl-shrubs-e
Cannot freeze layer "L-PL-SHRUBS-E".  It is the CURRENT layer.
1 found
Select objects:
1 found
Select objects:
-LAYER
Current layer:  "L-PL-SHRUBS-E"
Enter name list of layer(s) to thaw: l-pl-trees
Enter layer name to make current or <select object>: l-pl-trees
Cannot freeze layer "L-PL-TREES".  It is the CURRENT layer.
26 found
Select objects:
26 found
Select objects:
-LAYER
Current layer:  "L-PL-TREES"
Enter name list of layer(s) to thaw: l-pl-trees-e-shade
Enter layer name to make current or <select object>: l-pl-trees-e-shade
Cannot freeze layer "L-PL-TREES-E-SHADE".  It is the CURRENT layer.
1 found
Select objects:
1 found
Select objects:
-LAYER
Current layer:  "L-PL-TREES-E-SHADE"
Enter name list of layer(s) to thaw: l-pl-trees-e
Enter layer name to make current or <select object>: l-pl-trees-e
Cannot freeze layer "L-PL-TREES-E".  It is the CURRENT layer.
3 found
Select objects:
3 found
Select objects:
-LAYER
Current layer:  "L-PL-TREES-E"
Enter an option [?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]: a
Enter an option [?/Save/Restore/Edit/Name/Delete/Import/EXport]: r
Enter name of layer state to restore or [?]: temp
Enter an option [?/Save/Restore/Edit/Name/Delete/Import/EXport]:
Regenerating model.
Command: re
REGEN Regenerating model.
Command: 

Message 16 of 28

>>>>1 - Using a freshly opened file, I got the command line to pop-up on the first try. See below for the contents of the command line.

It is normal behavior.

Try to put macro to Tool Sets, but I'm not sure it will resolve the problem.

It is interesting to look at what the command window shows at the moment when the crash occurs.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 17 of 28

Hi Maxim,

I added the macro to the Tool Sets panel, and was able to get the crash to occur on occasion.  Does not appear to help.

Any way for me to grab the Command Line text during a crash?

Message 18 of 28

You can try to enable drawing log and look at it after AutoCAD crash.
Here is how-to:
1/ at first, in order to be able to find drawing logs, which will be created for each file separately, you need to change "log file location" path in Application tab of AutoCAD preferences:

2017-04-08_08-36-50.png

Set it to some specific folder you can easily find.
2/ Turn log file ON with LOGFILEON command. Now log file with all command line history will be created for each drawing session.

After AutoCAD will crash, you will be able to find log file for the last opened drawing where the crash occurred.

To avoid clogging the disk with unnecessary garbage - don't forget to turn log file off with LOGFILEOFF command after you will finish with investigation. You can also safely delete log files anytime.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 19 of 28

Hi Maxim,

I just followed your steps for enabling the log file and got the crash to occur again.  See below for the contents of the log file, let me know if I should attach it for some reason.

[ AutoCAD LT - Mon Apr 10 11:39:39 2017  ]----------------------------------------

Opening an AutoCAD LT 2013/AutoCAD 2013 format file.
Substituting [simplex.shx] for [archquik.shx].
Regenerating model.

Command: 

Autodesk DWG.  This file is a TrustedDWG last saved by an Autodesk application or Autodesk licensed application.

Command: 

Command: 
Command: 
Command: 
Command: expert

Enter new value for EXPERT <1>: 1

Command: 
EXPERT

Enter new value for EXPERT <1>: *Cancel*

Command: 
Command: -La
-LAYER 
Current layer:  "0"
Enter an option [?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]: A

Enter an option [?/Save/Restore/Edit/Name/Delete/Import/EXport]: d

Enter name of layer state to delete or [?]: temp

Enter an option [?/Save/Restore/Edit/Name/Delete/Import/EXport]: s

Enter new layer state name: temp

Message 20 of 28

Looks like it crashes when macro perform operations with "temp" layer state with -LAYER command.
As I understand, there should be "temp" layer state in the drawing in order AutoCAD can run this macro successfully.
This is for test purchases only:
Can you try to verify the presence of the "temp" layer state each time before you use the macro? Can you reproduce the crash if "temp" layer state defined in the drawing?
Or you may delete "temp" layer state and than run the macro. Does AutoCAD crashes in this case?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost