cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working in Inactive Project

Working in Inactive Project

My most common mistake is making edits to drawings that are not in the active project. Quite frequently I work with more than one project, we split the machine down into smaller subprojects. If I edit the schematic in a not-active dwg, it doesn't drive thru to the layouts and so forth.

~maybe the project manager tree could show the drawings in the active project in a different style or color. (It does  now bold the active project name, but inactive dwgs in the list look just like active ones). Say the active project dwgs are listed in italic, or red or something.

~what if the background color changed for dwg not in active project. Normally I work with the old black background. Suppose there was a choice for active (black) and flip to white background (white) for active. Of maybe the ribbon changes color or something.

~Commands could prompt "Current dwg not in active project, do you wish to continue?)

5 Comments
rhesusminus
Mentor

I actually made this feature in my "will never be released toolbox for AutoCAD Electrical" 5 years ago 😄 (You get this sticker on your cross-hair when you're working in a drawing that's not part of the active project)

2021-05-15_23-39-44.gif

pmccutcheon
Collaborator

How about ... if I have a dwg open, there is a right click button for "Make current dwg active project"

(so if you opened the dwg first, without activating project, you have a quick way to activate it)

rhesusminus
Mentor

There's no way for a drawing to know what project it belongs to. A drawing can theoretically be part of several projects.

One would have to check all projects in the project manager, and activate the first project one would find that contain this drawing. I guess it would be the right project 99% of the time..

pmccutcheon
Collaborator
Typically there are several projects "open" in your sidebar, but not active. It can take a guess from the open projects. If the drawing is in more than one project for some reason it can prompt to that effect
samuli-7DQ7E
Participant

@rhesusminus Good point. This reveals another fundamental issue of having the sheets as independent files that could be used anywhere.

In my opinion, the UI should know from which project each sheet was opened. When selecting the sheet tab, the UI should activate the project where the sheet was opened.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta