cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal that has Xref

Terminal that has Xref

We often place a terminal on a schematic sht, and then need to re-represent the very same terminal on another sht.  I currently have to make a duplicate with same strip & number to do this...which pollutes the database etc.  It would be handy if we had a dynamic relationship between the two representations.

9 Comments
rhesusminus
Mentor

Oh, you mean like all the competition have, like EPLAN? 😉

We have some other workarounds also, using "signal arrows", that LOOKS like terminals. Search the forums for this. I'll try to find it if you're not able to.

thomas.strick
Contributor

Thanks!  I need to do a deep dive and come up with a work-around.  Thanks for the advice.  I will look at finding the signal arrows discussing here.

miles.nicholson
Advocate

You could use XREF > Object Clip to have the 2nd representation of the terminal strip. If the master updates, the clipped object updates.

rhesusminus
Mentor

And if you try to connect a wire to that "clipped xref", what happens then?

miles.nicholson
Advocate

@rhesusminus of course you cant to a clipped reference but that wasnt mentioned

rhesusminus
Mentor

Why else would you need to see the same terminal on two different schematic sheets? If not to connect a wire to them?

miles.nicholson
Advocate

@rhesusminus thats a good point. I didnt read the schematic part. Certainly my suggestion is useful for panel layouts and seperate terminal rails. I would ask what is the purpose of the 2nd+ drawing?

If its cable diagrams, then this could be done using wiring symbols. 

If its for showing a contact twice with its terminations, then although technically inaccurate schematically to do this, your method of using signal arrows would be a workaround.

rhesusminus
Mentor

It's quite normal to want to create a distributed terminal.

On one sheet you want to see how cables interface to an enclosure, where you'll connect them to the "external side" of the terminal. 

On a different sheet, you draw the internals of the cabinet, where you'll draw the terminal again, but then connect to the "internal side" of the terminal. I've shown this in a previous post on the forums, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

It's also very useful for distribution blocks (that also are terminals), but you kind of can solve that using association in AutoCAD Electrical. But, if AutoCAD Electrical did support distributed terminals, it would be really nice.

Just like you can place distributed I/O's and distributed contacts as child components.

miles.nicholson
Advocate

Yes it would be good

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta