cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix Re-sequence Item Numbers utility so it actually re-sequences alphabetically

Fix Re-sequence Item Numbers utility so it actually re-sequences alphabetically

I requested many releases ago, long before there was an Idea Station, that the Resequence Item Numbers utility resequences alphabetically according to manufacturer name.  Release 2011 introduced this ability but it has not functioned correctly yet.  The objective is to be able to have a BOM that lists all parts in order of Item number but also in order of Manufacturer name.  This eliminates the need for a purchase list format BOM.  One BOM serves both purposes.  The panel shop sees everything listed by item number but the purchasing department sees all parts grouped by manufacturer.  (see attached sample)

When the enhancement was added I noticed that when I have Siemens push buttons on the front door and other Siemens components inside the enclosure on the next drawing, along with AB, OMRON, EATON, etc., the Siemens components on the first panel layout drawing get assigned item numbers 1, 2, 3, etc., but on the next drawing AB picks up at the next available item number, and then later down the list is another group of Siemens components.  The software is assigning first by drawing order, starting with the earliest panel layout drawing, and secondarily by manufacturer name.  The idea to sort alphabetically by manufacturer name should apply project-wide. 

Here was a fix for this on Autodesk Labs.  I downloaded it and it worked perfectly.  Pat Murnen created it.  But then it was removed from Labs and has never been implemented into the software.  This as been a defect since release 2011 and it needs to be fixed. My customers always have to manually edit the BOM to get the desired sort order.

3 Comments
chris.downing
Collaborator

Totally agree with this, it is much needed

Anonymous
Not applicable

If this were to work that would be great! The best way we are currently accomplishing this is by exporting the project to excel and reorginizing the item numbers there. The main issue I have with this method is (as I have stated in my first "Idea" post) my balloons will not update with the new part number on schematic components.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump, and a different request.

The item number "Fixed" information is stored in the project database and not in the drawing.

It would be nice if there was a different block other than B_ITEM used for fixed item numbers that would be stored in the drawing file.

At least we would be able to maintain some semblance of a repeatable order for item numbering when using template drawings for our panel layout drawings.

I find it interesting that wire numbers use a different block for fixed wire numbers, and item numbers do not.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report