cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically activate project

Automatically activate project

It would be helpful if Electrical could automatically "Activate" the project whose drawing I have open and am currently viewing. Since I will most likely be modifying the project anyway (hence the reason for opening the drawing in Electrical) why not have Electrical automatically activate the project that the drawing is tied to?   For example, in the below image I have the project "Activated Project" Active, however, when I open the Alternate.dwg file, the "Activated Project" stays active. I have to manually right click and activate the "Alternate Project" in order to work on it. It would be great if Electrical could activate/deactivate projects based upon what drawing is currently being viewed. 

Project.jpg

5 Comments
Icemanau
Mentor

I would find that very annoying and I'm sure a lot of other would agree.

I constantly open dwgs in other projects to check things.

For example, I might open a dwg from an older project to check protection relay pinouts, or how previous jobs have been wired before flipping back to the dwg I'm working on.

Then there are the people who call up and ask a question about some drawings that they have which I then have to open so I can see what they are talking about.

Having the active project constantly changing like that would slow down the process of opening a dwg to check something.

The better idea would be to have an option to choose that behaviour rather than just making it 'one behaviour fits all'.

Regards Brad

I agree with Brad.  The reason we are able to open drawings from other projects, or even drawings that aren't associated with any project, is so we can copy symbols, wires, or circuits from thise drawings.  The Circuit Clipboard that was introduced in release 2015 has made this procedure even easier by automatically updating the symbols and wires to match the line references where they get pasted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like Autocad to ask if you want to activate the project if you start to "edit" a drawing that is not in the current active project.

t_chaws
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Hi,

Thank you for your Idea! We will be looking into it for our future releases!
Keep posting new ideas and dont forget to support others by giving kudos to their ideas.

Best Regards,
AutoCAD Electrical Team

Tauruspower
Contributor

I think it is great the way it works.  When you start flipping active project just because that drawing is open you start tying up resources that some of our stations cant afford to loose.  Anything that slows down the thinking of our machines is effeciency loss and this based on what I see when I change active project and do edit would be lost effeciency.

As for a warning that your editing something not in current active project maybe have that so you can check a box not to give warrning again in this session like other warnings that would be good.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report