AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire Gap Size Issues

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
The_Angry_Elf
1376 Views, 4 Replies

Wire Gap Size Issues

OK, this seems to be a very common problem, but all I've seen from my searches, it never seems to get answered.

I have a client that seems to have a scaling issue with his wire Gaps/Loops. They come in extremely small compared to the rest of the drawing.

Ref these 3 screen shots showing the wires I just inserted and the scale of the existing text/features/ etc., the next two I zoom in and note you can then start to see the gap/loop are actually there.

Now, the "fix" I've seen on all the posts for this issue here all say to change the Feature scale, but as posted in these posts, that changes the scale of all future added features, not what the people with this issue want to do.

So, my questions are, what is causing this and how do you actually fix such?

OrigWireGap-01.JPG - Screen shot number 1

OrigWireGap-02.JPG- Screen shot number 2 (zoomed in a little)

OrigWireGap-03.JPG-Screen shot number 3 - you can just start to see the loops.

This is on Acad Ele 2016 BTW

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Icemanau
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

A real quick question first off which will allow us to help you better...

What release of ACADE are you using?

Including this information in your questions will lead to quicker answers as each release of ACADE has some major differences from the prior releases.

To track down a problem or to answer a How-To question requires us to know which release we should be looking at and as much other information as possible (workflow which causes the problem as an example).

Now on to your problem

This is usually caused by incorrect libraries and scaling settings.

Are the component blocks scaled when the blocks are inserted?

What block library is being used?

What Standard (IEC or JIC) are the dwgs being done to?

What are the feature scale multiplier (Project Properties -> Drawing Format AND Dwg Propertiess -> Drawing Format) set to?

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: Icemanau

Brad,

Thanks for your reply...as far as the release questions....it's right above my name in the original post (AcadEle 2016).

The client is using the IEC libraries. Those components/blocks all come in fine as I tried to show in my first screen clip. He's seeing this issue only with the "jumps". His connection dots come in fine and the feature scale is set to 1.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 4 of 5
Icemanau
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

I must admit that I did miss seeing the last line of your post. My bad...

Getting on with the problem however.

The dot is also a block and would come in at the same scale that previous blocks were inserted with...

The wire loops are generated on the fly and are not blocks. Their size is controlled by the FSM.

If the scale of the blocks has been changed on the Insert Component Dialog, then that will affect the dot and not the loop.

Under the Feature Scale Multiplier is a base scale for the dwgs which is used when inserting blocks.

Make sure that this is set to 'Mm full size' while using IEC style blocks.

Check the different options there and you will notice that the 'combined scale factor' and 'wire connection trap' settings are different between 'Inch scaled to mm' and 'Mm full size'. However, the Inch and Inch scaled to mm are the same.

Also make sure that the title block is sized to suit the European paper sizes (A3-A4 is best) rather than the Imperial sizes.

Check that the Symbol Library hasn't been scaled up in the past to suit a different paper size.

Start a completely blank new dwg and make sure that it's settings are as follows.

Library is set to the IEC library required.

FSM is 1 and 'Mm full size' is the selected scale.

Draw a wire 50mm long and another 50mm wire that crosses it.

Go to the Insert Component Dialog and make sure the Schematic Scale is blank.

Insert a relay coil at the end of one of the wires.

Your result SHOULD look similar to this...

Test.JPG

If the block is larger than shown, then there is a problem with the block being scaled on insertion or has been scaled up and saved.

Note that the grid shown is at 10mm square and is there to give a sense of scale between the loop and the block.

Is it possible to start a new project with two dwgs to zip up and post?

Have one dwg with the setup as shown above and the other blank apart from the title block.

This will make it easier to find the problem.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: Icemanau

Brad,

Thanks for the great info. I'll pass it on to the client to see if that resolves his issues.

I'll post back the results as soon as I hear back.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta