Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire Doesn´t Change to Dash Line Type

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
6196 Views, 11 Replies

Wire Doesn´t Change to Dash Line Type

ACADE Version: 2018

Hello ACADE community,

I'm new in ACADE (actually to ACAD in general) and I´m not able to change a continues wire into a dash wire type. I have change the LineType into a dash type but still not able to make this happen. I have tried in different layers and also with different LineType but still with the same continous wires. What can I do?

Thanks

ER

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
TRLitsey
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

It could be your scale factor.  Try to draw a really long line and see if you see the breaks.  It could be the line is just to short to show the breaks.

By the way, this is where you change the scale ...

Screenshot - 6_13_2017 , 3_19_51 PM.png

Good luck

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome
Message 3 of 12
TRLitsey

If the scale is the issue you can either change the scale factor, maybe try 0.5 or even 0.25.  You could also type LINETYPE on the command line and load another line type.

Screenshot - 6_13_2017 , 3_16_09 PM.png

Good luck

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: TRLitsey

@TRLitsey wrote:

Hi there,

It could be your scale factor.  Try to draw a really long line and see if you see the breaks.  It could be the line is just to short to show the breaks.

Good luck

Hello TRLitsey,

I tried this and still the same problem; Apreciate your comment.

Regards,

ER

Message 5 of 12
TRLitsey

Well, you post looks like you have selected the line type OK.  If you are drawing in metric it could be the other way, which is to say the dashes are to small to see.  When you select the wire, manually change the line type like it appears you are doing correctly, the manual settings should over ride anything else that might be going on.

Good luck

Message 6 of 12
TRLitsey

Just about awesome, I am drawing in JIC standard.  Loaded the line type I think you are using.  Did not see the dashes until the Linetype Scale was down to 0.001.

Screenshot - 6_13_2017 , 3_35_20 PM.png

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Hello TRLitsey,

I´m not able to achieve this; Perhaps it´s the configuration that I´m using. I will insert this piece of circuit so that you may see (if possible) whats wrong with my wire.

Pd: I´m saving in file type ACAD 2013/LT2013

Thanks,

ER

@TRLitsey wrote:

Just about awesome, I am drawing in JIC standard.  Loaded the line type I think you are using.  Did not see the dashes until the Linetype Scale was down to 0.001.

Screenshot - 6_13_2017 , 3_35_20 PM.png

Not able to achieve this.

Message 8 of 12
TRLitsey

Funny, I have the same problem, odd scaling.  I am out of time for today but if you look at your drawing it has the dashed line.  Something is odd with the drawing.  Down and dirty work around was to draw the line in a clean generic drawing, adjust the settings, then copy the line and paste it into the problem drawing.  Once it is in there you can use the Match Properties tool you can find under the Modify drop down.  If you do not see the Modify selection your menu bar may not be turned on.  Type MENUBAR on the command line and set value = 1.

Will check back tomorrow

Good luck

Message 9 of 12
jseefdrumr

TRLitsey is right, the issue is with linetype scaling. This linetype is meant for use in metric drawings, and your drawing appears to be either JIC or NFPA. If you were to set a linetype scale of .03937 for that line, it will display properly.

The line in your drawing is scaled at the default factor of 1. At this factor, your line is too short to show you anything more than a portion of the first line segment. To see how/why this is, go to that drawing. Click once on the line. See the little squares on each end? Those are called grips. You can stretch things with them (among many other things). I want you to grab the right-side grip, and then drag it across the drawing really far. That's a 36" title block, so drag the grip over like 5 feet (60"). Seriously, it needs to be that long for this. Once you let go of the grip, the line will now be whatever length you dragged it to ... and it should also be dashed. Play with it for a second, drag the grips around. Notice how it maintains the relationship between the length of the dash and the length of the space, regardless of the overall length of the line. But if you make it too short, it will go back to not displaying the spaces.

Now, since we see that the scaling of this line is totally out of whack for what's happening in the drawing, we need to fix it. You could adjust the scaling of the line, but I think your best option is to leave scaling alone (a personal preference, I admit). Let's try a different linetype instead.

Hit ESC a couple of times. Enter LINETYPE at the command line. We're going to load up a couple. Pick these: DASHED, DASHED2, and DASHEDX2, and then close the dialog. These linetypes are more sutiable for drawing in imperial-units drawings.

In the drawing, that line should still be ridiculously long. Make three copies of it, for a total of four. Select the first copy. In the PROPERTIES flyout, select 'Linetype'. Pick DASHED. Do the same for the other copies, setting one to be DASHED2 and the other to be DASHEDX2. Notice the differences between them, and remember the most important part: they are all at linetype scale=1.

So, my recommendation is to pick a different linetype. Different ones are for different uses. Unless you are specifically asked to use one or the other, due to a CAD standard or customer request, I'd just go with one that presents you with the least fuss.

Because, you're on the edge of a rabbit hole, and don't even know it. There are a zillion ways to do any one thing in this software. With linetypes alone, you could:

change LTSCALE

change PSLTSCALE (if plotting from paperspace)

give it a different linetype in the LAYER settings

give it a different linetype as an object property (that is, by changing things in the PROPERTIES flyout)

give it a different linetype scale as an object property (that is, by changing things in the PROPERTIES flyout)

actually re-code the linetype by editing the ACAD.LIN file (not a great idea though lol)

Can you go through this little walk-through, and let us know whether it went for you as I outlined here? I set this up using the drawing you posted, so it should all be the same for you. Please post back if you have questions. And remember HELP is your friend. It's actually pretty good for ACADE.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Hello RLitsey,

I just found out that (I think) it´s the resolution of my computer that doesn´t allow me to see the dashed lines. I got a 4k monitor on my laptop and that´s the reason I´m using ACADE 2018. I´m thinking on selecting repair ACADE in the control manager or finding a monitor that allows me to see things properly. What do you suggest?

Thanks

ER

@TRLitsey wrote:

Funny, I have the same problem, odd scaling.  I am out of time for today but if you look at your drawing it has the dashed line.  Something is odd with the drawing.  Down and dirty work around was to draw the line in a clean generic drawing, adjust the settings, then copy the line and paste it into the problem drawing.  Once it is in there you can use the Match Properties tool you can find under the Modify drop down.  If you do not see the Modify selection your menu bar may not be turned on.  Type MENUBAR on the command line and set value = 1.

Will check back tomorrow

Good luck

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Hello jseefdrumr,

After figuring out for a while about what´s wrong with my ACADE drawing I get to a conclusion that it should be my 4k monitor as I reply to TRLitsey (which is right by the way). These post can be seen down below.

Apreciate your time to get to the possible problem I´m facing,

ER

@jseefdrumr wrote:

TRLitsey is right, the issue is with linetype scaling. This linetype is meant for use in metric drawings, and your drawing appears to be either JIC or NFPA. If you were to set a linetype scale of .03937 for that line, it will display properly.

The line in your drawing is scaled at the default factor of 1. At this factor, your line is too short to show you anything more than a portion of the first line segment. To see how/why this is, go to that drawing. Click once on the line. See the little squares on each end? Those are called grips. You can stretch things with them (among many other things). I want you to grab the right-side grip, and then drag it across the drawing really far. That's a 36" title block, so drag the grip over like 5 feet (60"). Seriously, it needs to be that long for this. Once you let go of the grip, the line will now be whatever length you dragged it to ... and it should also be dashed. Play with it for a second, drag the grips around. Notice how it maintains the relationship between the length of the dash and the length of the space, regardless of the overall length of the line. But if you make it too short, it will go back to not displaying the spaces.

Now, since we see that the scaling of this line is totally out of whack for what's happening in the drawing, we need to fix it. You could adjust the scaling of the line, but I think your best option is to leave scaling alone (a personal preference, I admit). Let's try a different linetype instead.

Hit ESC a couple of times. Enter LINETYPE at the command line. We're going to load up a couple. Pick these: DASHED, DASHED2, and DASHEDX2, and then close the dialog. These linetypes are more sutiable for drawing in imperial-units drawings.

In the drawing, that line should still be ridiculously long. Make three copies of it, for a total of four. Select the first copy. In the PROPERTIES flyout, select 'Linetype'. Pick DASHED. Do the same for the other copies, setting one to be DASHED2 and the other to be DASHEDX2. Notice the differences between them, and remember the most important part: they are all at linetype scale=1.

So, my recommendation is to pick a different linetype. Different ones are for different uses. Unless you are specifically asked to use one or the other, due to a CAD standard or customer request, I'd just go with one that presents you with the least fuss.

Because, you're on the edge of a rabbit hole, and don't even know it. There are a zillion ways to do any one thing in this software. With linetypes alone, you could:

change LTSCALE

change PSLTSCALE (if plotting from paperspace)

give it a different linetype in the LAYER settings

give it a different linetype as an object property (that is, by changing things in the PROPERTIES flyout)

give it a different linetype scale as an object property (that is, by changing things in the PROPERTIES flyout)

actually re-code the linetype by editing the ACAD.LIN file (not a great idea though lol)

Can you go through this little walk-through, and let us know whether it went for you as I outlined here? I set this up using the drawing you posted, so it should all be the same for you. Please post back if you have questions. And remember HELP is your friend. It's actually pretty good for ACADE.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Message 12 of 12
TRLitsey

Wow, that is a new one on me.  I have not dealt with a 4K monitor yet.  If no one chimes in you might try post in the Installation forum.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/installation-and-licensing/ct-p/3001

Good luck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report