AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning a block into component for BOM

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
GGuyer385BU
64 Views, 2 Replies

Turning a block into component for BOM

Im newer to Autocad electrical and trying to make sure everything is accounted for in the BOM when I run a report. I created a block for a surge protection device and thought I needed to convert it to a component so that I can give it the manufacturer, catalog #, etc. so that it is added to the BOM. Is this the right way to go about it? And how do you convert the block? Just making sure the block is added to the BOM is my concern so if there is a better way to do that please advise! Thank you. (Autocad Electrical 2024)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jklem35E2E
in reply to: GGuyer385BU

If your primary concern is to ensure that the block is added to the BOM you can try "Footprint" in the command line. This will convert the block into a panel footprint that you can then tag with data from your catalog. This of course depends on if your block that you have created is a footprint and not a symbol in your schematic.

Message 3 of 3

Hi @GGuyer385BU 

Can you confirm if the block symbol you are trying to add to BOM is a schematic symbol or Panel footprint?

AutoCAD Electrical Symbol builder should be used to create new symbols.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACAD_E/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-FCE4AE61-DCE2-4F93-8F0D-98D7147D034D

This works much like regular blocks but each attribute added to the block carries a meaning and is used for different function. For example: CAT and MFG attributes stores the catalog and manufacturer information which is used by reports.

The following tutorial explains nicely how to create new schematic symbols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OicPRF-_eZg

Symbol Builder Loaction

arshdeepsingh404_1-1722373818989.png

Here is where you select the Type of symbol, It will return different required attributes depending on the type you select.

arshdeepsingh404_0-1722373754036.png

Schematic Symbol with all the required attributes

arshdeepsingh404_3-1722374069947.png

Schematic symbols also needs to saved with certain naming convention.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACAD_E/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-426D2FCD-D82A-4FB7-A657-28D8B2EC336D

Once you have your symbol created and inserted on a drawing, You add catalog to it similarly how you would do for regular components using Catalog Lookup in Edit component.

I could give more specific instructions and exact steps for your symbol but I would need to know if it a schematic/footprint and probably the catalog information to decide the correct family if a schematic symbol.

Regards,

Arshdeep Singh, C.Tech, CMSE®
Electrical Designer & Programmer
LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta