AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal with wire number

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1098 Views, 3 Replies

Terminal with wire number

I am using AutoCAD Electrical 2020 and I am getting a reoccurring issue that I hope someone can help with.

In my drawings I insert wires and number them with their associated functions and that part works fine. The issue comes in when I insert the terminal "Square with Wire Number." The block physically inserts but when the "Edit Component" window opens it doesn't load in wire number like it should. Additionally I only have this issue with some of my drawings not all of them.

If anyone knows how to fix this irksome issue I would greatly appreciate the help.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jseefdrumr
in reply to: Anonymous

I've seen a similar issue before. I use the same 'terminal with wire number' terminal block except that I use the diamond shape instead of the square.

Try making the wire longer than you need it to be, so that there is a piece of wire on each side of the terminal symbol. Then insert the terminal. Now does it display the wire number?

I've seen this happen without ever actually determining the cause. It happens often enough so that part of my workflow when placing terminals is to just go ahead and draw the wires out longer than needed, then go back and trim off the floaters when I'm done placing terminals.

Another option, is to place the terminal first and then land the wire on it. This seems to always push the wire number into the terminal.

But for whatever reason, placing a 'terminal with wire number' symbol on the endpoint of a wire doesn't seem to pick up the wire number 100% of the time, and AFAIK, it's always been that way.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jseefdrumr

I made the wires longer and inserted the terminals towards the middle like you said and it worked...

This is both confusing and irritating, even if I place the terminals on the end of a wire they should still work.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 4
jseefdrumr
in reply to: Anonymous

I agree. But, I haven't yet identified a single thing that makes this repeatable so it's kind of hard to tell Autodesk about the problem. Sometimes, when I place these terminals on the end of a wire, they work. It's finding the difference between 'sometimes' and 'repeatable' that's kept me from chasing this rabbit down the hole any further.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report