AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLM 360/Catalog Lookup

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
262 Views, 1 Reply

PLM 360/Catalog Lookup

Is it possible to integrate the PLM360 part database with components in the part catalog in AutoCAD Electrical 2018?

For instance, in the PLM360 part database we have supplier part number and our own part number.  In an ACADE catalog database I want to be able to look up that database entry, or at least import the database, to be able to lookup the part number and input it into the drawing on a component.

I just want to be able to see the data in the PLM database, in my part catalog somehow.

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Icemanau
in reply to: Anonymous

It is doable but a bit intensive...

First of all MAKE A BACKUP OF BOTH DATABASES...

Next Copy both databases to a temp directory on a local drive.

Now there are two methods to add the data...

First method, add a part that would use the PLM360 components and do a lookup in the LOCAL catalogue.

Now using the EDIT button, add the new entries one by one.

This is the SLOWEST but SAFEST method to add the PLM data. You can also just add the parts as they are needed so that the time taken is spread out over multiple project and you are not wasting time adding parts that will never be used.

The second method which has great potential to cause problems is as follows.

Now using ACCESS, open both databases and copy the individual columns from the PLM360 database to the matching (or closest match) columns in the ACADE catalogue that you are going to be using.

A word of warning - DO NOT CHANGE THE FORMAT OF THE ACADE CATALOGUE IN ANY WAY. NOT EVEN THE LOCATIONS OF THE COLUMNS. DOING SO WILL CAUSE MASSIVE PROBLEMS WITH ACCESSING THE DATABASE VIA ACADE.

For example, the part catalogue number from PLM360 would go to the same column from ACADE's catalogue.

Your own part number from the PLM360 catalogue would go into any number of places. My suggestion would be the Miscellaneous column.

Once all the data has been transferred over, you may then need to adjust some of the entries to the correct format or even add entries.

Coil and Pin numbers for example need to be in a particular format for ACADE to read properly but the PLM360 database may have them in a different format.

Once you think everything is ready, try it on ONE machine only with ACADE installed. AGAIN MAKE SURE THERE IS A CURRENT BACKUP of the existing catalogue.

If it works, you can then allow everyone to use the new catalogue.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report