Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nameplate

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1029 Views, 5 Replies

Nameplate

Hello, Is there a way to change the location appearance of the nameplate? because every time I use it comes in the center of the footprint and then I have to move them into the right location every time.

Capture.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

You might be referring to the tag.  There is a such thing as a nameplate, but it is usually associated with push-buttons and switches.  If a footprint block contains no predefined attributes, and you insert it via the Schematic List, the software pulls from a group of .DWG files (a.k.a. blocks) in the root of the panel folder which contain minimum necessary attributes for the type of footprint in question.   AutoCAD Electrical will merge this block into the footprint block and the two will become one.  The block the software "merges" with the footprint contains the proper attributes to hold the data that is being transferred in from the schematic.  It actually only needs to push in attributes for visible data, so such things as manufacturer name, catalog number, assembly code, etc. will be stored as hidden xdata.  Usually the attributes that are visible are such things as the tag (P_TAG1) and the rating (RATING1), so these are the most popular attributes that are pushed into a footprint.  By default the software will position the merged block at the base point of the footprint.

Understand that the footprint symbols/blocks supplied by Autodesk come as-is from their manufacturer.  Most contain no attributes, though some, like AB pilot lights for example, might include an attribute named COLOR.  Terminal blocks are the exception.  Autodesk pre-loads terminal footprints with attributes so they can function properly with the Terminal Strip Editor.

Now, with that understanding as a backdrop, here is how you solve the situation you describe.  Simply open the file for the footprint in question and use the ATTDEF command (yes, a plain vanilla AutoCAD command) to add an attribute named P_TAG1.  Position this attribute where you wish and perhaps set a default text height.  The text height can be adjusted later using the Change Attribute Size utility.   Now, save the footprint block/file.  Hint: If your drawing contains previous versions of this block you can use the Update Block utility to update existing blocks that have already been inserted to the version you saved that contains the added P_TAG1 attribute.  The Update Block utility offers the option to perform this update project-wide, in case you have used this block on multiple drawings within the same project.  I sell an add-in utility for AutoCAD Electrical that can perform the Update Block function system-wide, so all projects that contain an older version of a particular block can be updated automatically.

Note: You could have used the Symbol Builder to add the attribute but that is overkill when you only need to add one attribute.

Doug McAlexander
Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor
Specializing in AutoCAD Electrical Implementation Support
Phone: (770) 841-8009
www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
rhesusminus
in reply to: Anonymous

It's quite common to put small nameplates on most components inside a cabinet (at least in Europe), so why not use the nameplate functionality?

So, to answer your question; The nameplate will be inserted so that the nameplates insertion point coincides with the panel symbols insertion point.

There is no way to set different "nameplate locations" for different panel symbols.

Maybe you should consider inserting a point in your panel symbols? That would possibly make it easier to place the nameplate when you move it, using the NODE-osnap.

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 4 of 6
jseefdrumr
in reply to: rhesusminus

We label our panels to death here. I mean, every single component. For this, we use a variety of label printers. Some give us a nice raised label with embossed printing, others are thick adhesive-style labels. I actually experimented with the nameplate command for this, mainly because the shop guys called them 'nameplates' instead of 'labels'.

I got to the same point as the OP, where I just got frustrated with having to move them every time. Plus, it was overkill, because ACADE nameplates are meant to have a part number, etc and we just use fancy stickers lol.

So now, I use text or Mtext, with a rectangle around it. The rectangles don't change, they're drawn to the size of the various labels we use. This way, if I have time to lay out the labels with the rest of the panel, I know ahead of time whether they'll fit.

Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Doug, Thank you for the explanation and the tips. 

Message 6 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: jseefdrumr

We use engraved traffolyte style labels here which are mounted on clear Perspex strips fixed to standoffs on the gear plate.

These labels are made in one strip that goes across the width of the gear plate so all the labels line up.

I usually wait until the guys on the floor actually build up the panels before I go down and measure them for the labels.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report