AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

menu component insert missing

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1120 Views, 4 Replies

menu component insert missing

I am using Autocad 2018 and attempting to insert basic electronic components onto my drawings. When I double click on a component such as a resistor, it should bring up a secondary insert options menu but doesn't. I've checked the object snap settings with my instructor and everything is setup correctly as far as we can tell. Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jseefdrumr
in reply to: Anonymous

A little clarification? I don't know what you mean by 'secondary insert options menu'.

Is the resistor already in the drawing, or are you trying to insert it?

If you're in the act of inserting it, which workflow are you using? (i.e., inserting from Catalog Browser, or Icon Menu, etc.)

If it already exists in the drawing, and you double click on it but get nothing...then what happens if you right click on the symbol instead?

Are you seeing any error messages on the command line? Use the F2 key to pull up a windowed version of the command line that lets you see all the text. Any command that fails should report the failure to the command line.

Extra info:
Typically, when you're inserting a symbol, it goes like this:
*After it's selected, you have to place it in the drawing. At this point, the dialog from which you selected the component should disappear, and you should then see your cursor holding the block ready for placement.
*After insertion, you will then see the 'Insert/Edit Component' dialog box, which is where you add annotations (DESC lines, ratings, and so forth) and assign a catalog number.

OSNAPS can affect where the symbol lands, if you are placing it on a wire, but you should still see the edit dialog at the end. So, that's not a likely factor IMO.

Post back and I or someone else will work on helping you get things together.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

You mentioned AutoCAD 2018, not AutoCAD Electrical 2018.  Like Jim said, we need some clarification. 

I have attached a video that shows the normal workflow for inserting a resistor from the AutoCAD Electrical icon menu.  It sounds like you are not getting the Insert/Edit Component dialog popup.  Type SYSVARMONITOR at the command line and see if any parameters have changed, especially the FILEDIA setting.

Jim has advised you well with regard to running OSNAPS.  They can cause problems when you are trying to insert schematic components along existing wires.  I suggest that you not use running OSNAPS with a schematic drawing.  If you must use one, only use Nearest.  But, like Jim said, you should still see the Insert/Edit Component dialog, even if the running OSNAPS setting moved the component to an undesirable location..

Doug McAlexander
Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor
Specializing in AutoCAD Electrical Implementation Support
Phone: (770) 841-8009
www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
achyutm14
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Hi,

I got a issue with child component in autocad electrical 2016 software. Hope u can help me. You uploaded a video on how to create and save symbols in icon menu. " INSERT/EDIT CHILD COMPONENT DIALOGUE BOX" is not appearing on the screen to link the parent component. I tried on clicking the child component and selected the edit component option still no dialogue box appeared. But when i double click on the child component ENHANCED ATTRIBUTE EDITOR dialogue box is appearing. Please provide me the solution to get INSERT/EDIT CHILD COMPONENT dialogue box. I have no issue with parent component. INSERT/EDIT CHILD COMPONENT dialogue box is not appearing for any child component in the ICON MENU. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Message 5 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: achyutm14

I might be misinterpreting your statement, so I will guess.

If you made a custom child symbol, be sure that you saved with the correct block naming convention.  There must be a 2 as the 4th character.

If the Insert/Edit Parent dialog is appearing, then your problem is probably not related to the FILEDIA getting reset.  There is a workaround fix for that now, just in case you do experience that issue.  The issue is related to the Location View in the Project Manager.  Go to this link for the solution:  https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/File-s...

Doug McAlexander
Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor
Specializing in AutoCAD Electrical Implementation Support
Phone: (770) 841-8009
www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report