AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location of WDP file extension icon image

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
brett_cci
693 Views, 4 Replies

Location of WDP file extension icon image

Can someone tell me where the WDP file icon image is located. 

After installing/migrating to ACADE 2018 from 2017 and then uninstalling 2017, all of my WDP files lost their icon image.  The files work properly - they just have a blank white icon.  If my memory serves me correctly, they're supposed to be red and white with the letters WDP. 

I've been using a program called ICONSEXT to search through all files under C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2018 including acadficn.dll and acadres.dll, but I've yet to have any success.  I thought for sure the icon image would be in acadficn.dll since a lot of the file extension images such as DWG, DXF, & DSD reside there.

BTW, I did try a installation repair, but that didn't work.   I'm hesitant about doing a re-installation since I'm fearful of losing data plus the chance it doesn't fix anything.  What files should be backed up in case I need to do a re-install? 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rhesusminus
in reply to: brett_cci

The file you're looking for is C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2018\Acade\AceUserIco.dll

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 5
brett_cci
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thank you for that. 

I was able to locate the ACEUSERICO.dll and can see the icon image using the program FileTypesMan.  Unfortunately, I get the error message "the system cannot find the file specified" upon selecting the desired icon and OK'ing my changes.  There must be something going on with the registry.  I'm guessing a shared key was deleted when 2017 was uninstalled because the icon was displaying correctly while 2017 & 2018 were both on my PC.

Are there any recommended steps before performing a re-installation of ACAD via its add/remove program options? 

Does a reinstall overwrite edited files such as the catalog and footprint databases, symbol browser configuration and images, symbol libraries, etc?  I know that the repair function didn't touch any of these files.

Message 4 of 5
rhesusminus
in reply to: brett_cci

Yes, it will overwrite.
Make a backup first.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 5
brett_cci
in reply to: rhesusminus

Finally got around to doing the re-installation option via add/remove programs.  Well, I actually installed ACE 2020 first, migrating everything from ACE 2018.  That fixed the missing/incorrect icon issues temporarily.  It was when I uninstalled ACE 2018 that the icon issues came back: wdp icon changed to a windows media photo icon and several other icons such as the bak file just changed to all white.

Before doing a reinstall of ACE 2020, I checked out the acemigration.log file that was created when I migrated from 2018.  It showed me the below (4) important folders to be backed up due to their content, which include the default catalog database, the footprints database, modified default & custom schematic symbols, footprint drawings, ace menus, etc.

• C:\USERS\YOUR_USER_ACCOUNT_NAME\APPDATA\ROAMING\AUTODESK\AutoCAD Electrical 2020
  • C:\USERS\YOUR_USER_ACCOUNT_NAME\DOCUMENTS\Acade 2020
  • C:\USERS\PUBLIC\PUBLIC DOCUMENTS\AUTODESK\Acade 2020
  • C:\USERS\PUBLIC\PUBLIC DOCUMENTS\AUTODESK\AutoCAD Electrical 2020

I copied the above folders to my desktop for safe keeping and then ran the reinstall, which fixed the misbehaving autocad file icons.  I then moved the above (4) folders back to their original locations and merged/overwrote everything.  All is well again! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta