AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIC and IEC in same project

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
647 Views, 3 Replies

JIC and IEC in same project

I have a project built using the JIC standard.  Our European customer wants certain blocks changed to  IEC standard (Fuses, relays, contactors.).  Is it possible to have both JIC and IEC symbols in the same project?  I saw in another thread you had to delete all JIC symbols first to insert IEC symbols.  Does that mean ALL JIC symbols (grounds, wire labels, switches, etc., etc.)?  OR can I just delete all Relays, Fuses and Contactors as thats all I need? I've updated my "Schematic Libraries" path and "Schematic Icon Menu File" path, but only inserts JIC symbols still.

TLDR; Can you have JIC and IEC symbols in the same project?

Thanks

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jseefdrumr
in reply to: Anonymous

My first comment is, the JIC standard was abandoned before I was even born and replaced with NFPA79. It's an outdated and obsolete standard. It's doubtful that Autodesk has properly managed that symbol library over the years.

Most people using this software, who aren't in the metric system, use NFPA. Therefore, you may have a hard time finding anyone with specific knowledge of how well IEC symbols will get along with JIC symbols.

That said, you can technically use the symbols. Be aware that how they get tagged may need some tweaking from your end - IEC uses different family codes for their components. For instance, if you insert a JIC relay, it will be called CR123, but the IEC will want to be called K123. Little things like this might also make some reports misbehave, or not return all the information that they should.

If any of the symbols that need to be IEC already exist in your drawings, but came from the JIC library, you'll need to either delete and purge those specific symbols, or use the Swap/Update block command to change them out. You'll only have to address the symbols that need to be IEC for this; everything else can stay.

Hope this helps,

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 4
Icemanau

If you look closely at the Swap/Update tool's dialog box, there is a command to do a full library swap.

Using this, it should swap all the symbols in your project for the equivalent symbol in the new library.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
testsubject

Another thing to keep in mind is how IEC schematics are structured.
IEC ladders are typically Horizontal; NFPA ladders are vertical.

IEC requires that all terminals (even unused ones) are present on the symbol. NFPA does not (although I do now draw them that way.)

IEC schematics typically do not have rung numbers (position is based on the x or x-y zone on the drawing.)

I spent approx 3 months learning how to draw IEC per the standards. It is not a simple swap.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report