Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Ladder - ladder numbering text layer...

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1358 Views, 7 Replies

Insert Ladder - ladder numbering text layer...

When I insert a ladder, no matter what I change in my define layers and other properties, the text for the ladder rung numbering always comes in on layer 0.  Is there a way to set this up so I can have this text automatically get put onto a predefined layer?  If I edit the layer of rungfirst in the wd_mlrh block, it will bring it in on that layer, but I want to be able to leave rungfirst on layer 0 in the wd_mlrh block.  Any solutions?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rhesusminus
in reply to: Anonymous

I haven't tried, but you should try this setting:

2020-03-12_22-22-14.png

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 8
dougmcalexander

Line references are inserted onto whichever layer is set current.  I always leave layer 0 (zero) set current.  You could create a layer named LINE REFERENCES, assign it your color of choice, and set it as the Current Layer, before you insert a ladder.

Hint: Only the beginning line reference number is a block.  The number is an attribute value.  The subsequent line reference numbers are inserted as text.

Doug McAlexander
Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor
Specializing in AutoCAD Electrical Implementation Support
Phone: (770) 841-8009
www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: rhesusminus

Yes, the define layers window assigns layers to pretty much everything except for line references (which get inserted when inserting a ladder).  See message number 3 from Doug for a solution.

Message 5 of 8
dougmcalexander

I should also mention that I do not advise changing any of the layer names in the Define Layers list.  I almost wish that option wasn’t even there.  First, there is no need.  Second, if you call for support, it’s one more thing you need to remember to explain to the support representative that you have customized, so he/she can factor that in while helping you troubleshoot.

Doug McAlexander

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8

I recommend saving your drawing template (.DWT) file with layer 0 (zero) set current, but if you create a special layer for line references, you might want to save the template with your line references layer set current, since inserting a ladder might be the first thing you do in a new drawing.  Note: Be careful when creating a custom symbol.  Always use layer 0 (zero) for a custom symbol.

I also preset my drawing template with a default text size, table style settings, and no OSNAPS.  Running OSNAPS can cause issues when inserting components onto existing wires, so I only use them when needed.  You can bring up the OSNAP list by holding the shift key as you right-click your mouse.

For more information about creating a drawing template, go to the Tips/Tricks page of my website.

Doug McAlexander

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
pqphillips
in reply to: rhesusminus

@rhesusminus wrote:

I haven't tried, but you should try this setting:

2020-03-12_22-22-14.png

That particular option is so when you have a block with multiple layers inside of it, the layer settings will apply to layer 0 only. For instance, if you have a block that has an attribute or geometry that, for whatever reason, has to stay on a very specific layer, you create that layer in the block, put your stuff in, and make sure that the setting above is checked and applied project-wide. If you don't, it will move the items to the default Electrical layers upon insertion.

At least, that's what it's supposed to do. I haven't had any need to utilize that setting, so I don't know for sure.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: dougmcalexander

I am an ACADE novice

Thank you for the useful info.

I have another peculiar thing I was trying to troubleshoot. I would appreciate any input.

When I revise the ladder numbers from a ladder the updated numbers are in a different layer (Misc layer) not under the original 0 layer anymore. Why is that and is there a way I can change this nonsense?

Thank you,

Nikolaos

Electrical Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report