AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert / Edit Component

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
vince.krueger
457 Views, 1 Reply

Insert / Edit Component

There is a lot of documentation here and on the web in general, but so very little of it applies to programatic control (I really had hoped that Electrical would have moved out of the 1970s LiSP via .SendCommand for external control - you can do most general functions with objects / methods / ... but there is no library for the new shiny versions / variations).  Thus I have another question for automating AutoCAD Electrical from an external application (regular AutoCAD is so much easier and better documented, unless I am just missing the boat somewhere).

I have not found an API call to add a component via the Catalog Browser (which would be an easier, one stop shop).  Instead I am using c:wd_insym2 and c:ace_multipole, but I want to edit the manufacturer, catalog number, ... via my code instead of via the popup.

How can I either use the Catalog Browser or force feed the additional information?

Thank you,

Vince

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
mtrd_001
in reply to: vince.krueger

Fully agree with you about the lack of documentation on versions like Electrical - however I've found there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum who seem to know about the insides of ACADE.

I mostly use .NET and having to execute LISP commands drives me nuts (has anyone noticed how much LISP sucks?).

I do a fair bit of updating electrical blocks just by updating the attributes - in your case the MFG and CAT attributes. I know it isn't entirely ideal, but 'works' most of the time. The only thing to watch for is the schematic > layout link getting out of sync, but if you are creating the block programmatically I'm guessing you have no layout block yet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report