AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use a different reference format for components and wires?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
rblack2LEKD
1244 Views, 5 Replies

How to use a different reference format for components and wires?

I am creating a new template and I want to be able to have components referenced via X-Y grid,

example PB01505B

Is a push button on sheet 015, row 05, and column B

And, I want wires to ignore the column reference. So for the PB above there is a wire connected to the right of it, I want it to be labelled 015051

Sheet 015, row 05, wire 1 on that row.

I have been able to setup my X-Y grid and add components that are being referenced as per above. However wires are also being referenced the same way with the column being added. I don't want the column I want the wire tags to not contain any letters, and just increment sequentially on the same line as they go through components.

Is it possible to do this in Autocad electrical?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: rblack2LEKD

It is hard for me to picture what you are asking for because my template is so different, it would be easier if I had a drawing so I knew better what you are looking at. I hope that this will work for you but I am to 100% sure. Also since we are "ignore the column reference" all your Cross-References will be off of this format as well, making your template pretty useless. There is no way to have it both ways, changing the Format Referencing will change the referencing for Wire Numbers and Cross-References. 

step 1:

Go under Properties and Wire Numbers and make the wire number format and put in %S%N

step 2:

Also under Properties and Wire Numbers, the wire number format use "Line Reference" with 1,2,3....

step 3:

Under Properties and Drawing Format, Format Referencing, make it Reference Numbers.

step 4: 

Put all Components on Ladder Rungs.

Message 3 of 6
rblack2LEKD
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, I sort of came to the the conclusion this wasn't possible yesterday afternoon after searching and playing around in ACE.

Basically I want to use X-Y grid for components and cross referencing for child items, as well as source and destination points.

Then for wire numbers I want to use Reference number formatting, where the wire number has the sheet and line number, and then increment by one for each wire on that line.

I have a reference set of drawings that does this, and I know it was created using ePlan Electric. 

I've sent my customer a sample using ACE's X-Y grid referencing, including wire numbers containing a letter to see if this is acceptable.

I also said we can go to a pure line referencing format for everything and go away with the X grid portion, waiting to see what they come back with.

Unless anyone else has any ideas of how to do component labeling and cross referencing in one format, and wire labeling in another?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I mean you could have it in the format I put above and run wire numbering. Then change the format and run the cross-referencing update. It will take some extra time but I think you could get away with it.

Message 5 of 6
rblack2LEKD
in reply to: Anonymous

Yeah suppose that would work, bit of a PITA though.

I'm just going to go with letters in the wire numbers, not really a big deal.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Would you mind hitting "Accept Solution"? 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report