Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update drawing from template?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
abdullahseba
2792 Views, 5 Replies

How to update drawing from template?

Hi

I'm new to AutoCad Electrical and have created a template for my drawings.

I've made a few changes to the template but I can't figure out how ro update the drawings.

How can I do this? Is there a way I can do it automatically on save? 

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jseefdrumr
in reply to: abdullahseba

Templates are basically a one-trick pony. In other words you can only use them once, and only to do one specific thing: start a new drawing. Once that's done, the drawing has no further connection to the template.

Your best bet here is to copy things out of the template to the drawings where you need them. Some things, say for instance a different linetype on one of the layers, can't be copied. You'll have to change such things manually. But new layers can be added simply by copying a line drawn on that layer from a drawing that has it to a drawing that doesn't. Same goes for things like text styles and table styles, etc.

If there is so much of this to do that it seems counterproductive, then another option is to start a new drawing based on your revised template, and then copy all of the stuff out of the existing drawings into that one. Be aware that you will still have to evaluate things to make sure everything is as you want it.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 6
OP21
in reply to: abdullahseba

If you have made changes to your titleblock template (the root .dwg file not the .dwt) and need to update your set of dwgs you can use AESWAPBLOCK.

This dialog box gives you options to pick specific blocks (either within the dwg or the whole project).

Check out Option B to: Substitute a new version of the selected block.

• Select your titleblock frame.
  • Navigate to select your updated source titleblock (.dwg).

"As a test the 1st time out" : Select - "Active dwg" and check to see if your changes are shown.. You can UNDO if it didn't work.

If it did, use the same selection procedure but choose "Project" and select the dwgs to process.

It's batch process so you can do this every time you need to make changes to your master titleblock!

Hope this helps!
Omar

P.S. If this did help you, remember to "Accept as Solution", so the answer can help others. "LIKES" are always welcomed and much appreciated! Thank-you.
Message 4 of 6
alex.perezMSQ4H
in reply to: OP21

you have saved my life.
Thank you so much

Message 5 of 6

The method I’ve used from the beginning is to make one block that includes border (with company logo), title block grid, title block attributes, and a WD_TB mapping attribute.  This block gets inserted into a blank drawing.  There I add Drawing Properties, Panel Configuration, wires, etc.  I cover this in a 12-step guide on my web site, under Tips and Tricks.

If I later need to Change Drawing Properties, Panel Configuration, wire types, etc., in the template file, I open the DWT file and make the changes, then save over the original template file.  

If I need to change the border, company logo, title block attributes, WD_TB mapping attribute, I change that in the base level drawing that I started with.  It is technically a block, just like a relay, push button, etc., so I can use Update Block project-wide to update the block in every drawing within an existing project that has drawings made from the same template file that includes the same base level block.

To change Drawing Properties only, in an existing project, you can make the changes in Project Properties and Apply the Project Defaults to all drawings.

There is even a Project-wide Utility that can copy new wire types into all drawings in a project.  Just add the new wires to one drawing and use the Project-wide Utility to Import those wires into any or all drawings in the project.

Doug McAlexander
Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor
Specializing in AutoCAD Electrical Implementation Support
Phone: (770) 841-8009
www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6

And WD_TB is just an attribute. So, if you've made changes to the attribute mapping in the WD_TB attribute, and use the "update block" it will overwrite your changes with the old settings.
But, maybe you can just create an attribute mapping file that'll map the exiting WD_TB data to a dummy attribute?

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report