AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to solve the dilemma between assembly code and multiple catalog approaches for AutoCAD Electrical BOMs?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1462 Views, 4 Replies

How to solve the dilemma between assembly code and multiple catalog approaches for AutoCAD Electrical BOMs?

Hi

At our company, we are barely starting to use ACADE09's BoM feature and I am having a dilema on whether it is better to use the multiple catalog of assembly feature.

The way we work our BoM is that every different component haves its own item number. Therefore, I find it much easier to use the multiple catalog tool because I can assign item number to every sub-catalog components. It is then very easy to ensure that all the same components have the same item number.

The problem is whit the push-buttons; they do have assembly code linked to them by default and I can't assign an item# to the subassembly parts. It is not acceptable for us to have various item numbers for one unique part. Here is a easy example.

Let say I want a 1NO 800FP-F3 push button and a 2NO one. The way I would like the BoM to come out is:
2 x 800FP-F3
2 x 800F-ALP
3 x 800F-X10

But this is not achivable using the assembly structure unless there is a way to assign item# to subassembly parts.

I can remove the default assembly number of the 800FP0F3, but there are 4 entries of that catalog number (with 4 different assembly codes) and doing so it is now impossible to select the appropriate description. It always selects the 1NO one.

Anyone has a suggestions on how to keep the best from the 2 worlds in my situation (the BoM structure from sub catalog and precise description from sub assembly codes)?

For your information, I am currently using the Purhcase format to make sure I always see the total amount needed for one given part.

Thanks

@Anonymous 

Topic title has been edited to improve findability by @alina.balkanskaia. Original: Dilema between assembly code and multiple catalog approach for BoMs

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can pre-load the multiple catalog parts into
the symbol with MFG01, CAT02, MFG02, CAT02, etc...up to MFG99 and CAT99. 
The MFGxx and CATxx values correspond to the Multiple Catalog entries.  So
if you pre-load the attributes with the vendor data each time you insert
the main symbol, you get all the sub-assembly items as well.  And since
they are multiple catalog entries you can assign separate item numbers using
AcadE 2009's new feature that allows that.  AutoCAD Electrical 2009 will
make sure you don't have a part with two different item
numbers. 

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Hi
At our company, we are barely starting to use ACADE09's BoM feature and I am
having a dilema on whether it is better to use the multiple catalog of
assembly feature. The way we work our BoM is that every different component
haves its own item number. Therefore, I find it much easier to use the
multiple catalog tool because I can assign item number to every sub-catalog
components. It is then very easy to ensure that all the same components have
the same item number. The problem is whit the push-buttons; they do have
assembly code linked to them by default and I can't assign an item# to the
subassembly parts. It is not acceptable for us to have various item numbers
for one unique part. Here is a easy example. Let say I want a 1NO 800FP-F3
push button and a 2NO one. The way I would like the BoM to come out is: 2 x
800FP-F3 2 x 800F-ALP 3 x 800F-X10 But this is not achivable using the
assembly structure unless there is a way to assign item# to subassembly parts.
I can remove the default assembly number of the 800FP0F3, but there are 4
entries of that catalog number (with 4 different assembly codes) and doing so
it is now impossible to select the appropriate description. It always selects
the 1NO one. Anyone has a suggestions on how to keep the best from the 2
worlds in my situation (the BoM structure from sub catalog and precise
description from sub assembly codes)? For your information, I am currently
using the Purhcase format to make sure I always see the total amount needed
for one given part. Thanks
Message 3 of 5
vladop

You don't have to pre-load symbol attributes. Just make symbol with MFG01, CAT01, CNT01, MFG02, CAT02, CNT02 etc.

CTNxx is for COUNT of subassembly parts.

Than add dummy catalog records.

First one:

CATALOG: 800FP-F3

MFG: AB

DESCRIPTION: GR/Push-button with 2NO

TEXTVALUE: MFG01=AB;CAT01=800F-ALP;MFG02=AB;CAT02=800F-X10;CNT02=2

and second one:

CATALOG: 800FP-F3

DESCRIPTION: GR/Push-button with 1NO

TEXTVALUE: MFG01=AB;CAT01=800F-ALP;MFG02=AB;CAT02=800F-X10;CNT02=

Note CNT02= in second record. That is in case that you first choose Push-button with 2NO and than change your mind and replace it with Push-button with 1NO. Without CNT02=, count of 800F-X10 would remain 2 as for Push-button with 2NO.

For the same reason, if you first chose part that have CAT02 and MFG02 and replace it with part without CAT02 and MFG02, you have to put CAT02= and MFG02= in second record TEXTVALUE.

You must complete insertion in order to update CAT01, CAT02 values. In other words, you will not see multiple parts at first. Click OK in Insert/Edit Component dialog box. Than, if you edit component you will see that multiple parts are there.

You will have 3 records with CATALOG value 800FP-F3:

1) Real one catalog part,

2) one for 1NO and

3) one for 2NO.

Difference between them is DESCRIPTION. That's why I put GP/ in DESCRIPTION for "non-real parts" (GP is for GROUP). This way I can see witch record is real one and witch one is group of parts.

At first, I did this:

First one:

CATALOG: 800FP-F3+2NO

DESCRIPTION: Push-button with 2NO

TEXTVALUE: CAT=800FP-F3;MFG01=AB;CAT01=800F-ALP;MFG02=AB;CAT02=800F-X10;CNT02=2

and second one:

CATALOG: 800FP-F3+1NO

DESCRIPTION: Push-button with 1NO

TEXTVALUE: CAT=800FP-F3;MFG01=AB;CAT01=800F-ALP;MFG02=AB;CAT02=800F-X10;CNT02=

There are two differences:

1) CATALOG data are unique (800FP-F3+2NO and 800FP-F3+1NO), and

2) CAT=800FP-F3 is added to TEXTVALUE in both records, so that after insertion 800FP-F3+2NO (or 800FP-F3+1NO for second record) is changed to real part 800FP-F3.

At first it worked, but after that it doesn't!?

Don't know why, but TEXTVALUE doesn't always put values to block attributes.

Even worse, for CNT01=5 in TEXTVALUE I get Count=2 in Catalog Check.

Can someone from Autodesk help. This would increase efficiency and accuracy of multiple catalog data input.

Vlado

Message 4 of 5
james_moore

Basically, use Multiple Catalog to pull together parts from different tables.  Use assembly code method to spec subparts from the same table as the main part.  Use a combination of both where needed to the the job accurately.

Message 5 of 5
james_moore

Old topic I know but...

The listing of Allen-Bradley 800FP style operators seems like it wasn't well thought-out.  All the assembly codes do is pull in one additional part, and it has nothing to do with NO/NC combinations of any contact blocks.  I'm seeing I'm going to have to re-do any entries we want to use so the descriptive data isn't misleading, or potentially conflicting with the contact blocks chosen.  This looks like a prime place for part number problems, if an engineer doesn't carefully select what they want.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta