AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I turn off external references tab?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
sstrecker
18951 Views, 14 Replies

How do I turn off external references tab?

Ever since upgrading to electrical 2018, when you have a project open and click the PREV/NEXT drawing buttons, the tab pops open and then closes (I have it set to auto-hide).  I have no use for the External references tab and keep closing it, but it keeps coming back.   I've even tried turning it off with Tools>Pallets in the menu bar and EXTERNALREFERENCESCLOSE.  I'm attaching a screen capture.

references tab.JPG

Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
rhesusminus
in reply to: sstrecker

I see that you have one unreferenced file in that palette. I believe the palette opens automatically if there's a missing reference file.

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 15
sstrecker
in reply to: rhesusminus

I think that file may be buried in my title block.  Any idea how to remove or un-reference it?

Message 4 of 15
rhesusminus

Right-click on it and see what choices you have? Detach?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 15
sstrecker

That did it!  Thanks!!  Been fighting with it for weeks.

Message 6 of 15
jseefdrumr

If this is truly a reference from your title block, then you are facing having to do this for every drawing, for every project. Even if you only have to do it once per drawing, that time adds up.

Is that happening?

If so, open the title block drawing and detach the xref from there. If the XREF flyout doesn't open automatically (it probably won't), type XREF on the command line. From there, do as Trond already suggested.

Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

I have file references being shown on the screen what can I do now to remove these
Message 8 of 15
rhesusminus

Have you even read this thread? Have you tried some of the suggestions?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 9 of 15
shuhn

The only way I have found to take care of this for me is to open a drawing by double-clicking on it.  Then there is an actual window that pops up asking what you want to do.   I chose to Ignore Unresolved References, and check the box to always ignore.  Seems to have cleared it right up.

Message 10 of 15
kormanXDWPA

Every time I open a file it has a "! Not Found" data link pop up in the File Reference window of the External References pop-up. I cannot detach, remove, or ignore the "! Not Found" file from the external reference and must manually close the External References window every time I open the file.

The reference is also not used anywhere within my file and the object it was attached to has long since been deleted.

How can I remove this reference?

Message 11 of 15
trabuck7
in reply to: kormanXDWPA

That's removed using the data link manger. On the Annotate tab, click on Link Data on the Tables ribbon, right click the link and click delete. If you receive an error saying it can't be removed, follow this article: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCA...

Tyler Rabuck
Electrical Engineering Technician
Message 12 of 15
shuhn
in reply to: kormanXDWPA

I did explain in my previous post how I take care of that.  It has to be done every time I upgrade to another ACE version, but it works.  For this method, do NOT open the file from AutoCAD....  If you browse to, and double-click a DWG on your computer, the warning pops up a little differently (see attached PNG).   Check the box for "Always Ignore Unresolved References", then click "Ignore Unresolved Reference Files"..... 

Message 13 of 15
kormanXDWPA
in reply to: shuhn

The link you provided solved my problem. Thanks!

Message 14 of 15
shuhn
in reply to: trabuck7

If this one still has to be done for every drawing, consider my solution.  It does not have to be done for every drawing.

Message 15 of 15
austin.gellis

Also note:

If you enter the command LAYERNOTIFY and set it to 0 (zero), you should not get those unreconciled layer warnings, however, the external reference window still auto opens.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report