AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make Copy Wire Number include / show Wire Attributes?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Nicholas.J.CAD
869 Views, 6 Replies

How can I make Copy Wire Number include / show Wire Attributes?

I have been working on making things quicker on our projects at work. We usually add a text line under each wire number to designate the color.

njacobs2AM5N_0-1632929787018.png

I have been able to alter the WD_WNH block to show the first number attribute.

njacobs2AM5N_1-1632929882518.png

I have tried but was unable to alter the WD_WCH (Copy Wire Number) Block in a way that would also show this attribute (Wire Color-W01USER).

njacobs2AM5N_2-1632930082960.png

Is there anyway to alter the Copy Wire Number (WD_WCH) Block to show Wire Number Attributes?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

I have also attempted to change the WD_WNH Wire Number Block Attribute "WIRENO" to Multiple Lines. However, after inserting a New Wire Number, there is a Leader Line going to literally nowhere and no Wire Number showing.

Message 3 of 7
Icemanau
in reply to: Nicholas.J.CAD

The block used for the wire number copy has a different name than the normal wire number block.

It's also missing the W01USER attributes.

Double check the copy and see if the block name is different. If it is, go to the library you are using and add the W01USER attributes to the base block. Update the existing block in your drawing.

Also make sure any attributes you want to show are not invisible... 

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
Nicholas.J.CAD
in reply to: Icemanau

I understand that the "Main" Wire Number Blocks are WD_WNH,1,2 (Wire Number Horizontal) WD_WHV,1,2 (Wire Number Vertical). The Wire Number Copy Blocks being WD_WCH,1,2 (Wire {Number} Copy Horizontal) and WD_WCV,1,2 (Wire {Number} Copy Vertical). It is true that these Copy Blocks do not contain the W##USER Attributes. Each Copy Block contains ONLY the "WIRECOPY" Attribute, whereas the Wire Number Block contains "WIRENO".

I have altered the "W01USER" Attribute in the "Main" Wire Number Blocks as to be able to fill in this attribute in Drawings with the given Wire Color.

njacobs2AM5N_0-1632999593550.png

I have tried adding the "W01USER" Attribute to the Wire Copy Blocks.

njacobs2AM5N_1-1632999710122.png     njacobs2AM5N_2-1632999762946.png

This does not seem to make any change to the AECOPYWIRENO Command. (Copy is on the Left.)

njacobs2AM5N_0-1633000352413.png

Another Problem I have found is that when using Wire Arrows, the W##USER Attributes are not carried over to the Destination Wire.

Essentially what I am trying to accomplish would be (if possible) to use the Edit Wire Number Tool to add a Wire Number while also inputting the Wire Color using the W01USER Attribute. While this is possible, it seems none of these W##USER Attributes are carried over to Wire Copy Blocks or Wire Number Blocks using Wire Arrows. This in particular is what I am trying to solve.

Message 5 of 7

Why not use wire color/gauge labels?  If you use auto-placement, and a wire number is already above the wire, the software will usually auto-place the wire color/gauge label below the wire.  Even when it misses a few, you can use the wire number flip tool to flip the wire color/gauge label to the other side of the wire.  See attached screenshot.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 7

I really appreciate the response. That would work, although it does not solve the problem I have presented.

To be more clear, I am trying to use the AECOPYWIRENO function my company is used to using. I would like to alter either this function in the .LSP/etc. files or the relevant blocks in such a way that when the user selects a wire with the "Edit Wire Number" tool, they are able to enter BOTH the desired wire number and wire color. With these fields both present and filled with a Main Wire Number block attached to a wire, when the user uses the "Copy Wire Number" tool, this copy wire number block shows the same color. In more basic terms, I need the Wire Number Blocks to have two lines that are able to update as the standard blocks are able.

This is quite particular, I know. However, where I currently am working, I am trying to accelerate our drawing processes without being able to change almost anything our CAD Team is used to doing.

Message 7 of 7

What you are attempting is not possible.  The wire number copy is like a child to a wire number.  And wire numbers don’t define wire color.  Competitors of AutoCAD Electrical use the wire number to define the color and size.  You must type in the color and size.  The software then creates a label next to the wire (i.e. 123/RED/14).  You could force AutoCAD Electrical to display wire numbers with color and size.  But you must edit the wire number, after the automation inserts it, and manually type in the /RED/14 part.

With AutoCAD Electrical, the wire size and color are defined by the layer assignment, and, more importantly, the fact that the layer was created using the Create/Edit Wire Type utility.  This was the first thing that attracted me away from the competition.  The auto wire numbering from the competitor’s software only allowed me to type in one color/size and assign it to all of the wires.  I then had to manually edit each wire number/color/size label that needed to be different.

I think your best option is to insert the wire color/gauge label the way I showed previously and make use of the Saved Circuits utility.  When you insert the circuit, the wire number and color/gauge labels are prepositioned.  The wire number will automatically match the line reference where you inserted the circuit, or it will be assigned the next sequential number available.  The color/gauge label will auto-update if you change the wire type/layer using the Change/Convert Wire Type utility.  If the wire color/gauge doesn’t need to change, do nothing.  Just run the automatic wire numbering routine when you finish the drawing.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta