AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help using dwg file

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
601 Views, 7 Replies

Help using dwg file

I am using AutoCAD Electrical 2017 and I imported a .DWG electrical schematic that's already finished into the software, because I need to make some changes to it. However, none of the wires or components are being recognized. For example, when I draw a new wire across pre-existing wires, it doesn't automatically add the wire gap. It's as if the pre-existing wires and components for the .dwg file are not being recognized as such. Note I didn't add it to a project so I'm not sure if that messed it up.

Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TRLitsey
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

The AutoCAD electrical tools will work on drawings within the active project.  Your drawings need to be in the active project.  So either create a new project or add the drawing you are working on to an active project.  The active project will be high lighted and at the top of you Project Manager list.

Good luck

Screenshot - 9_29_2017 , 7_46_47 AM.png

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: TRLitsey

I added it to a project but it didn't solve the issue. On the right, you can see my layers and on the left, you can see how the new wire (white) crosses the pre existing wires, but it doesn't recognize the pre-existing wires and doesn't put a gap. But when I crossed it across itself, it recognized the gaps.

Capture 2.JPGCapture.JPG

Message 4 of 8
jseefdrumr

Sounds like the 'wires' in the drawing aren't actually ACADE wires. You can make them into wires, though, using the 'Edit/Create Wire Type' tool.

If that doesn't work, can you post the drawing?

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Now, I'm not sure if I used the edit/change tool correctly, because it still didn't work and I'm currently watching videos on it, but in the interest of time, I have posted the drawing as an attachment.

Message 6 of 8
jseefdrumr

All of the wires in that drawing are polylines. ACADE cannot see polylines as wires.

Change all of those polylines to regular lines, then try the command again. That should get you together.

Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Please, can you explain the edit/change command? I assume that's the tool you mean.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Actually, I figured it out and it worked.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report