AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FILEDIA Issues

36 REPLIES 36
SOLVED
Message 1 of 37
jallenDBQ7U
6002 Views, 36 Replies

FILEDIA Issues

What am I likely doing wrong to make FILEDIA get set to zero.  I realize it has occurred every time I do  SAVE AS on the toolbar and can't find the pop-up.  I then set FILEDIA back as a one.  Then a while later SAVE AS does not do a popup window again so I have to set it again.  I am mostly working on symbol builder blocks right now and have no add-ons running with AutoCAD Electrical.

36 REPLIES 36
Message 2 of 37
jseefdrumr
in reply to: jallenDBQ7U

Check the settings in SYSVARMONITOR.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 37
jallenDBQ7U

What should I check on SYSVARMONITOR?

Message 4 of 37
jseefdrumr

It's the system variable monitor. Open it up, and look at the status of FILEDIA.

It sounds like SYSVARMONITOR might be set to keep FILEDIA at '0' when it should keep it at '1'.

Jim Seefeldt

Message 5 of 37
jallenDBQ7U

Preferred value is one.  Why do we need a preferred value?  Is this reset to something different each time we create a new drawing or project?  I assumed it is a program setting that affects all projects until changed to something different.

Message 6 of 37
jseefdrumr

Well, if the preferred value for FILEDIA is already 1, then that's normal.

It's hard to say how your FILEDIA is getting flipped to 0 without your knowledge. Possible suspects include external LISP commands and other custom code.

However, whenever a system variable is changed, AND if that variable is currently in SYSVARMONITOR, then you will see an entry on the command line when it happens. It will say something along the lines of "system variable FILEDIA has been changed from its preferred value of 1". It's not super-obvious, though, and if it happens in the middle of something it can be hard to spot.

That's about the only thing I can think of that will help you figure out how this is happening.

Jim Seefeldt

Message 7 of 37
jallenDBQ7U

Thanks for your help.  I did set it to alert me so maybe I will catch it next time.  If nothing else I am now starting to memorize the command to check it (it has occurred three times).  I am not aware of anything custom that I am doing (or anything in the projects that might trigger it).

Message 8 of 37
Icemanau

Some commands change settings like FILEDIA and then when they finish change them back to the default value.

However, if the command ends unexpectantly, then it may not get changed back.

Try not to ESC out of commands and letting them finish normally is the best bet.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 37
jallenDBQ7U
in reply to: Icemanau

Bingo!  I think you just solved it.  I was aborting the symbol editor process because I kept getting the "Insertion Point Not In Line With Wire Connection" Error/Warning.  I was afraid to let it save with an error so I aborted and made it worse for myself.  lol.  At least I learned something.

Message 10 of 37
Anonymous

I ignore the "Insertion Point Not In Line With Wire Connection" warning. It's sort of valid for schematics, but not really. AutoCAD thinks the wire connection point needs to be in line with the main grip of the object. Depending on how you use your schematics and footprints, that may or may not be true.

Message 11 of 37
jallenDBQ7U
in reply to: Anonymous

I had the same issue occur today for CONTACT attribute.  The audit said the attribute was missing, but it was not used for a vertical symbol that I was creating.  It works fine.

I have noticed that the "Not in line with wire connections" error disappears on mine when I edit the symbol later to do any small adjustment of any part of the symbol.

Message 12 of 37
jseefdrumr

The symbol audit feature should really be used as a way to see what problems might exist. From there, it's up to us to decide whether or not the 'error' is actually an error, just an oversight, or something totally unnecessary. I don't even use it. If you use the Symbol Builder tool along with the proper attribute templates, you'll almost never build a symbol that doesn't work.

Jim Seefeldt

Message 13 of 37
jallenDBQ7U
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Since I have been upgrading a lot of older standard AutoCAD WBlock files to symbols, I find it handy to confirm that I didn't accidentally miss an attribute.

Message 14 of 37
jseefdrumr

Yes and this is a perfect use of the Symbol Builder. I imagine it's saving you a lot of time in that regard.

I've always been on the fence about this tool. Sometimes it causes more issues than it solves. I'm at the point now where I can build any (non-paramteric) ACADE symbol I need from scratch without it, just by being familiar with how the symbols work. The only time I use Symbol Builder is if I know in advance that I need lots of pins in my symbol, then it's handy to have the feature where you just poop out one after another and ACADE automatically increments their values. Otherwise, I leave it alone.

Jim Seefeldt

Message 15 of 37

In Version 2022, every time I open AutoCad it resets to 0.  I am not loading any lisp routines.  

Message 16 of 37

It's just a "feeling", but I had that same problem in 2022 myself. I couldn't pinpoint it, but it happend too often.

So, I edited this line in my wd.env file:

2021-04-17_20-40-47.png

WD_OPEN_DWG,(SETVAR "FILEDIA" 1),AutoLISP prog or expression to autoexecute when dwg opened from PROJ dlg

Now, AcadE sets the FILEDIA variable back to 1 each time I open a new sheet. Haven't experienced the problem since.

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 17 of 37
maratovich
in reply to: rhesusminus

@matthewcontrols  написал (-а):

In Version 2022, every time I open AutoCad it resets to 0.  I am not loading any lisp routines.  

1. Check autoloading lisp in the AutoCAD settings

2. Reset all settings.

3. Recently, I have been receiving files from users in which the settings of system variables have been changed and they break my AutoCAD. I think you had such files.

@rhesusminus  написал (-а):

Now, AcadE sets the FILEDIA variable back to 1 each time I open a new sheet. Haven't experienced the problem since.

It is not right.

The system should work automatically.

Many Lisp and programs set 0 to open and work with the file. You will have problems later on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Software development
Automatic creation layouts and viewport. Batch printing drawings from model.
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 18 of 37
rhesusminus
in reply to: maratovich

I'm not sure how experienced you are with AutoCAD Electrical, but this is a well known issue with AutoCAD Electrical, mostly due to all the scripts it generates and run on the fly, to update this and that.
It feels like it's just gotten worse.
Yes, it SHOULD work automatically, but it doesn't.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 19 of 37
jallenDBQ7U

Is there a trick on 2022 version with regard to FILEDIA value?  I am having to reset mine to one almost every time I open a drawing through the menu.  I guess I need to make an SCR file to put it back to value of one and just click it randomly.

I feel like I am going backwards with this version other than the Floating Window feature (which is very nice).

Message 20 of 37
rhesusminus

Did you try to edit the wd.env file as suggested above?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report