AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Express tools dimension style export question ACADE 2022

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
caddude1
341 Views, 1 Reply

Express tools dimension style export question ACADE 2022

I just exported a dimension style using express tools in ACADE2022. I found that the export dimension style command will create a new style, however give it a random name, which carries over to the drawing that you import it into. Is this something that is a known issue? I found that opening the exported file in notepad and editing the file name can fix it to match the saved file name, however it seems that the file name should follow what the user calls it not a randomly generated one.

Mark Behrens
Controls Designer/CAD Manager
42 year AutoCAD user | 15 year AutoCAD Electrical user
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jseefdrumr
in reply to: caddude1

I played around with this for a little bit and had no success getting it to behave any differently. My results matched yours, unfortunately, and nothing I did seemed to affect things.

It's hard to say why it's doing this....As I'm sure you're aware, Express tools is ooooold, like last-century old, and I doubt its code has seen much attention in recent years. This could just be a glitch that no one's reported before, or perhaps one that got introduced because of Windows changing how it does certain things. Who knows?

Still, I wish I had better news. Or even a workaround. But, editing the file post-creation seems to be the only path here.

These days, if I even use the phrase 'Express Tools', I almost always have to explain what I mean. It seems this toolset has just sort of fallen by the wayside, despite its inclusion of unique and useful commands. Arc-aligned text for my emergency stop nameplates? Check. Alignspace/Changespace for working with layouts? Check. Convert single-line text into multi-line text? Check. Not to mention a button that brings up a list of ALL system variables with a single click, XDATA tools, streamlined creation of linetypes and shapefiles, and a command alias editor.

Hard to believe that people are missing out on so much functionality.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report