AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Attributes

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
372 Views, 6 Replies

Dynamic Attributes

I tried doing some searching, but found no real answer. I was wondering if it is possible to create custom attributes which has it's value based dynamically from other values. I'll give an example:

In some of our blocks, I'd like to be able to have the Installation and Location on the same line. Can I create an attribute, lets call it "INST_LOC" and have it dynamically equal to the concatenation of the component's Installation and Location, with a space between them? This would help save some space and if this is possible, it opens the door for new possibilities.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rhesusminus
in reply to: Anonymous

You should look into adding fields in your attributes.
They can reference a value from another block, like the WD_M block, where you should find what you're looking for.

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: rhesusminus

I took a look at the Help file for the WD_M block, and I assume you mean the IEC_INST and IEC_LOC fields?

I'm not quite sure how to insert them into an attribute though. When I type the  "Field" command, I do not get anything hinting at project values.

I tried creating a custom attribute where its value was "%I %L", but all I got in return was the literal string. Also, the way our drawings are set up might now conform to this. I may have multiple components on schematic for say, a breaker, that has multiple trip contacts on the control drawing. Some contacts may be from Panel 7, while others may be from Panel 3 or any other panel.

Message 4 of 7
rhesusminus

So, you want a block that has attributes that references let attributes within the same block?
You can't do that with fields.
You would need some custom code to achieve this.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Yes, that is what I was trying to achieve, so that I would be able to show Installation and Location on the same line without having to manually edit each one to move the attributes around.

Message 6 of 7
rhesusminus

You will need for someone to make a small program thatget the current value from two attributes, and put them into a third attribute. There's no standard functionality to achieve this.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 7 of 7
jseefdrumr

You can always manually relocate the attribute definitions in the source block. I would do it by making INST right-justified while making LOC left-justified, and then making their insertion points close to one another (or even coincident, depending on the font/obliquing/etc). This would graphically achieve what you're looking for - the installation and location values side-by-side and separated by some space.

This is a far-from-ideal workaround, though, because you'd have to do it to every symbol you use that needs those attributes to display in that manner. But, once it's done, you shouldn't have to do it again.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report