AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Symbols Wont Allow Multiple Desination Arrows

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
joel.patel
566 Views, 4 Replies

Custom Symbols Wont Allow Multiple Desination Arrows

I have created a custom symbol representing IO connections on a VFD drive.  I have nine wire connection points on the symbol and I need to add separate destination arrows for each terminal where the source will be from a PLC output card.  I can insert the first destination arrow just fine but when I go to add the next one on a different wire the information for the first one I added is prepopulated and if I change it, it will change it for the first destination arrow and will not add the second.  It almost looks like it is behaving like the connections are inter connected in the symbol.  Any thoughts?  I have attached the symbol DWG file from the library.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jseefdrumr
in reply to: joel.patel

Open up the dwg file for your custom symbol. Take a look at your wire connection attributes - these are named X?TERM??. I'm willing to bet that they have the same terminal number, when they should all be different.

If the terminal number between two connection points is the same on a symbol, ACADE assumes this to be a non-wire-number-change connection. It will force the wire number to carry across from the first connection and then out through the second. This is useful for shared bus connections in a drive, like for 0V DC.

Generally, each terminal needs to have its own number. Terminal attributes are simply TERM??, where the pair of question marks is the number. Are any of yours the same? Each TERM should have a unique value for the ?? part.

Wire connection attributes look similar: they are X?TERM??, where:
*the first question mark is a 1,2,4 or 8, and informs ACADE which direction the wire will connect from
*the pair of question marks at the end inform ACADE which terminal that connection point is for
Again, are any of yours identical? They need to match the one terminal that they are associated with.

A properly built symbol should see every terminal have a unique number, and every connection point associated with a terminal should share that number. (You can have multiple connection points for a terminal, like in the case of a symbol that might see you draw wires to it coming from the top, or the sides.)

Hope this helps,

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 5
rhesusminus
in reply to: joel.patel

I'm not able to replicate your problem, but see some issues.

Your attributes looks fine (what did you bet @jseefdrumr  😉 ), but the block name is a little bit off.
I'm guessing that you want to separate the terminals of ATV320 to a separate symbol?
The block name should not start with VT10. HT and VT are reserved for actual terminals.

Try VDV2 instead, as it's a child symbol.

That being said... When I use your symbol, I've got no problems insert multiple destination signals:

2020-03-04_12-42-41.png

What is your wire trap distance?

2020-03-04_12-47-25.png

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 4 of 5
jseefdrumr
in reply to: rhesusminus

Haha, I was too busy to actually open up the file so I took a stab at what I thought it would be. Thanks for chipping in Trond!

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 5 of 5
joel.patel
in reply to: rhesusminus

Looks like the naming was the issue, I changed the names as you suggested to VDV2* and it works fine.  Thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report