AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Reference Child sometimes shows, sometimes not

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
d_r_wrightVF9D3
936 Views, 14 Replies

Cross Reference Child sometimes shows, sometimes not

Hello,

The picture shows an example of 2 relay contact. The top one does not show the cross-reference to the coil, the bottom contact does show the cross-reference. In this case, the cross-references aren't necessary of course, because the device name gives that info, but there are situations where a customer requests different component ID schemes that don't give the line number in the device name.

I have used AEATTSHOW to make sure that the XREF attribute is supposed to display.

The above information is also true about some child devices showing or not showing DESC1, DESC2, DESC3.

Autocad Electrical 2009.

Thanks for any clues,

Doug

XREF Shows - Does not show.png

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

If you run the AEXREF command, to update the cross-references, nothing happens?

What if you run AEREBUILDDB first?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 15

I just tried your suggestions and it still doesn't work.  AEXREF consistently works on my system with parent devices but not necessarily child devices.

Message 4 of 15

Are these custom child components?
What OS are you running..... And.. Are you really running release 2009, released 11 years ago?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 15

Window 7 and we are really running AE 2009. When I first got here, I asked for a little help from the IT guy and he said "We have already tried to fix some things and figured out the problem is AE 2009 with Windows 7." We are about to upgrade to Windows 10 so maybe they will update Autocad. It is also possible that they will just go with E-Plan and get rid of all the white haired, Autocad,  contract guys, (me). 

Edit: Not custom blocks

Message 6 of 15

It's never to late to learn something new. I've spent the last two months learning ePLAN Electric and Pro Panel. And my hair is still the same grey color 🙂

It would be interesting test your project in a newer version. Do you have access to a test-computer where you can install a newer version? You can always install a 30-day trial version to test on...

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 7 of 15

That is a good idea. I have already used up a 30 day trial on my home PC. I might be able to install a version on my wife's laptop. I will work on that tonight.

Message 8 of 15

You sure the parent and child blocks are matched? they both have to have the exact same inst and loc values prior to doing an xref. I usually check both boxes when matching parent to child.

Message 9 of 15

I didn't know that. If INST and LOC are blank at parent and child, is that a match?

Message 10 of 15

Should be but keep in mind even so much as a space in one and not in the other could cause a miss match.

Message 11 of 15

I will check that out on this project and get back, Thanks

Message 12 of 15
TRLitsey
in reply to: d_r_wrightVF9D3

Hi there,

Just a couple of random thoughts since I did not see mention of them here.

You may have better result if you be sure to insert the parent device first and then insert the child.  Inserting the child first my require a manual update to get the xref to display as has already been pointed out.  And just to say something silly, be sure there are sheet-ref numbers where you insert the component.  Which is to say if you insert a component on a sheet or in a region of a sheet that has no xref for ACE to associate it with, guess what the xref on the child is going to look like.

When you are inserting the child, if the parent is already in the project, you can select the parent from a list.  That will copy all the parent info into the child with no chance of any typo.

You can use the Surf tool (don't remember if that was in 2009 or not) to see what components are related to any selected component.

There can be multiple contacts on a single device.  If you have a device with multiple contacts and you use the Link tool to tie the contacts together, ACE may want to blank out the xref display on all but one of the contacts.  I guess this function is just to keep the drawing 'clean' and clutter free.

Good luck

Screenshot - 5_14_2019 , 9_10_25 AM.png

Screenshot - 5_14_2019 , 9_11_25 AM.png 

Screenshot - 5_14_2019 , 9_12_31 AM.png 

Screenshot - 5_14_2019 , 9_13_21 AM.png 

Screenshot - 5_14_2019 , 9_25_35 AM.png

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome
Message 13 of 15
d_r_wrightVF9D3
in reply to: TRLitsey

Very good points. 2009 does have the SURF tool which I use a lot. It may very well be that some CHILD devices were inserted before the parent was created. Later today I will try to upload a couple of drawings from the current set I am working on after I eliminate all Customer references. I did download an Autocad Electrical 2020 demo to my wife's laptop but wasn't able to get enough time on it at home to come to any conclusions.

Thanks

Message 14 of 15

Have same issue if component is copied. If new component is chosen from icon menu xref tags shows up.

Message 15 of 15

I  originally posted this in 2019. Still working with Windows 7 and Autocad Electrical 2009.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta