AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying Created symbols, Can't find?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
milmat1
219 Views, 4 Replies

Copying Created symbols, Can't find?

OK,

I create a new symbol, even add it to the icon menu. I can go get it in icon menu and post it into my drawing. All is good.

Except if I try to use the : right clic//copy component: function. It says it cannot find the block. How is this possible, if it finds it to insert it, how can it not find it to copy it? Are there two different file paths for these operations?

Autocad electrical 2020

milmat1_0-1699885602954.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: milmat1

The message is stating the source DWG that your new symbol resides in is no longer available or does not reside within a folder your current session of ACADE is looking in. Nothing more.

Did you by chance never maintain/store/keep the source DWG file?
Message 3 of 5
milmat1
in reply to: pendean

I went through my normal sequence with symbol builder. And was even able to add it to the icon menu, no problem.

So, is there a place where I tell it where to look for the block? Because it seems it isn't looking in the right folder ?

Yes, I am lost on this thing...LOL

Message 4 of 5
rhesusminus

If you have all those did in your filename, I'm pretty sure AutoCAD Electrical will be confused. Use underscores instead.

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 5
jseefdrumr

First, Trond is right - if your symbol name really does have all those dots in it, this is contributing to your problem. Fix that first and try again.

Second, if those dots that we see in the dialog are not what the symbol is actually named, then this implies the name is too long. There is a character limit for symbol names in ACADE, see HELP to find out what that is. Check that part out and if it's an issue, shorten your block name and try again.

If everything checks out up to that point, post back and let us know. The next thing to check would involve workflow and project paths. But try these suggestions first and let's see if that gets you anywhere.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report