AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert dwg to searchable pdf

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Arlene_Brown
5686 Views, 5 Replies

Convert dwg to searchable pdf

Hi there,

Our client has asked us to convert our dwg files to searchable pdf's. I have tried printing to pdf and applying OCR with adobe. However only parts of the dwg files are searchable. It doesn't convert everything on the drawing. I have also tried using Adobe pdfmarker to convert the dwg file to pdf. I got an error doing that. I tried printing and scanning the drawings using OCR on the printing and still the only parts of the drawing are searchable. Can someone please advise how I can do this.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rhesusminus
in reply to: Arlene_Brown

You should be able to do this, using the standard AcadE Publish Project function, via the project manager.
Just make sure "Substitute Truetype font for SHX font" is checked.
This will make sure all text styles use a truetype font in the PDF, which is required for the text to be searchable.

2018-12-14_14-03-10.png

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 6
Arlene_Brown
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thanks for the reply.

That worked. However when I open the pdf with Nitro the text is not readable where as when I open it with Adobe it is readable. I also notice that it throws the text out in some of drawings, ie. some text is now overlapping wires. Do you have any suggestions to resolve these issues.

I'm not sure at what stage you can apply the page set-up when publishing to pdf through the project manager.

I also struggle a little with the print batch plot at times. I first of all select one of the drawings and apply a page set-up to it. I then do the print batch plot and insert all other drawings. I do struggle at times to change the page set-up of all the other drawings to match the first one. Sometimes it works for me and other times it doesn't. Not sure what I am doing different and not sure if the batch plot converts SHX to true fonts compared to publish to pdf through the project manager.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 6
rhesusminus

For the font overlapping, you should have a look at the file acade.fmp which is the file where you decide what truetype font that the shx fonts should be substituted with.
If you have an example drawing I can have a quick look at it.

When you publish, do you mark all drawings, and select a page setup from the first drawing?
I tend to set up a default PDF page setup (A3 in my case) in my templates, so that I don't have to do anything when I need to publish/plot.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 6
rhesusminus

Batch plot don't substitute fonts. Only publish will do that.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 6 of 6
rhesusminus

You really should consider changing all your templates text styles to use a truetype font.
SHX fonts are just sooo 1985....

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report