AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Config of AE 2012 64bit win7 8gb memory.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
275 Views, 1 Reply

Config of AE 2012 64bit win7 8gb memory.

Hello All

I have called my problem by a different name to start the same question.

Config AE to metric.

I have had quite some good ideas from our suppliers support but none work for me.

I can make a drawing for for A3 in metric no problem.

I can set a grid for 5mm minor spacing and 10mm majir spacing with darker lines for the 10mm spacing.

I can get some symbols into the drawing.

When I try to use SYMBOL BUILDER the symbol comes in very small.

I have been successful with 2010 using symbol builder which was configured else where but I just thought it would be a simple matter of setting some parameters.

QUESTION:  Has anyone actually installed AE2012 on a new computer and configured it to metric with new drawings.   No porting from an old version?

QUESTION:  I have tried to creat a border using Doug McAlexander's "11 easy steps" .  Again has any one done this on a new machine with no porting from an earlier version.

Either I am a dimbo or there is a problem with AE2012 and Doug's instructions WRT to 2012.

My simple test would be four attributes for the title box, three individual drawings that I can update in one project.

Wire numbers, colours etc can come later.

regards  John Quigley

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

John, as far as creating a symbol is concerned, I suggest using the original Symbol Builder (a.k.a. Black Box Builder).  You can create the symbol on the drawing where it will be inserted, thus the scale will be no problem.  Type wd_sym_build at the command line to engage the original Symbol Builder.

I used my 11-step method last week for a version 2012 course I taught based on JIC/NFPA standards, but I also used the 11-step method a couple of weeks before that when I taught my custom IEC class.  Of course for IEC style, you need to add the X-zones for your IEC style tagging and cross-references.  I see no difference between setting up the smart template with 2011 or 2012.  The main difference I see with 2012 is the new snap function and a bug when you attempt to Scoot PLC I/O descriptions.  Version 2012 mistakenly grabs the PLC Module Description as well and moves it.  I just use the Move/Show attribute command to return the PLC Module Description to its original location after I move the PLC I/O descriptions.  Those are the main issues I have encountered while teaching version 2012.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost