AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't copy a view

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
857 Views, 10 Replies

can't copy a view

Hi there,

I downloaded a valve (cad) in the festo site. Well, I need the upper view, but when I rotate the draw and copy the upper view and paste in my draw the program pastes the left view. How can I get the upper view.

festo.pngfesto 2.png

please, help me!

Tags (4)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jseefdrumr
in reply to: Anonymous

When you copy and paste, you're copying the whole object. Whatever angle that you're viewing it from when you copy it, isn't a part of the information that gets carried over to the destination drawing.

If you need the 3D part in your drawing, you will have to paste it into the drawing and then manipulate the object itself (using 3D rotate probably) so that you're looking at the correct side of it.

If you only need a 2D representation, you can use the FLATTEN command to create one out of the 3D model. You would do this in your downloaded model, by setting up the view you want, and then entering FLATTEN on the command line. The result will be a little sloppy (for instance, a circle won't be a circle, it'll be a collection of dozens of line segments), but usable. After this was done, THEN you would do a copy-paste into the final destination drawing.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Thanks for the answer. Well I need the 2d to use in the front view of my control panel. When I use this Flatten comand , I got only one straight line:fest 3.pngfesto 4.png

If I rotate again I see what I want to.  I need this view on my draw:

fest 5.png

But as you can see, this view is outside the draw. Please help me.

Message 4 of 11
jseefdrumr

Use 3D Rotate to manipulate the flattened object so that it is in line with the rest of the 2D drawing.

I don't use the toolbars/palettes/buttons etc., so I don't where to find the command. Type ROTATE3D at the command line and follow the prompts. I usually find it easier to do this if I start out in an isometric view, rather than from the side or top.

Jim

Jim Seefeldt

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks you so much! You really helped me out on this issue!

Message 6 of 11
jseefdrumr

You're welcome...also, in case you have to do this again in the future, I remembered something.

When you're in the original 3D model drawing, and have used the FLATTEN command, at that point you could just WBLOCK the drawing from right there. I *think* that if you insert as a block in the destination drawing via INSERT, it will come in exactly as it was saved during WBLOCK.

Jim Seefeldt

Message 7 of 11
rhesusminus

Use the viewcube to get the view you want. Then use the FLATSHOT command, to create a picture of your view of the object in the current coordinate system.

Uncheck the "Show Obscured Lines" checkbox.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 8 of 11
jseefdrumr
in reply to: rhesusminus

Man, I'm so old school sometimes....totally forgot about flatshot. *slaps forehead*

Jim Seefeldt

Message 9 of 11
rhesusminus

You think YOU'RE old school? This is me in 1987, AutoCAD R9. tracing a F-15 Eagle on our summagraphics digitizer Smiley Very Happy

2017-09-14_21-29-50.png

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 10 of 11
jseefdrumr

You win. I wasn't even in high school yet in '87.

Jim Seefeldt

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

AutoCAD R9,

F-15 Eagle ,

it's cool~~!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta