AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I store IEC Symbol AND 2D Cad block inside Catalog??

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
david.faunce
870 Views, 1 Reply

Can I store IEC Symbol AND 2D Cad block inside Catalog??

I want to be able to store both the IEC Symbol and the 2D CAD Block inside my catalog. The IEC Symbol will be for the wiring diagram, whereas the 2D CAD Block will be for the panel layout. Is this possible? If not, what is the best solution here for maintaining objects in one location?

In the image below I have the IEC Symbol (that I already store in my catalog) but I also want to store the 2D CAD Block in the same record.

iec and cad.jpg

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi.  The symbol you show is an ANSI symbol for a switch disconnect, not IEC.  But to answer your question, there are separate library folders for JIC, IEC, and NFPA schematic symbols, and there are also separate folders, segregated by manufacturer name, for each of the panel layout symbols (a.k.a. footprints).  The footprints are stored inside of a folder named for each manufacturer and these folders are inside of a folder named panel, parallel to the JIC1, JIC125, IEC2, IEC4, IEC60617, NFPA, etc. folders.  The actual folders you see are determined by which libraries you chose to install during the installation of AutoCAD Electrical.  

The Catalog Browser allows you to associate which schematic symbol should be inserted into the drawing after you select a specific part number.  The footprint lookup database instructs the software to select a specific footprint block based upon the part number.  There are separate entries for a part number, one in the Catalog Database via the Catalog Browser, and another entry in the Footprint Lookup Database.  In the Footprint Lookup Database, you enter the part number and associate it to any footprint block of your choosing.  When you start laying out your panel using the Schematic List, the software will use the Footprint Lookup Database to determine which footprint to use.

I cover all of this and more in my comprehensive AutoCAD Electrical course.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost