AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automating Publishing Mulitiple Projects

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1169 Views, 13 Replies

Automating Publishing Mulitiple Projects

Hello,

I am using AutoCAD Electrical 2017.

As far as I know, the most efficient way to publish all or some of the drawings from a single project is via AEPUBLISH. I know that I can run a script using -PUBLISH and a previously created DSD file that would be faster, but the easiest way to make a .dsd for a single project seems to be using the AEPUBLISH command.

The scenario that I am trying to make more efficient is the following:

I have a project from a client that requires the creation of multiple electrical panels, thus requiring an AutoCAD Electrical project for each panel's set of drawings. I would like to be able to publish all of the drawings from all of the panels at once or in a queue, in order to create a separate PDF for each panel as quickly and efficiently as possible. Right now what we do is run AEPUBLISH for each AutoCAD Electrical project and wait for it to complete before running the process again for the the next one.

If you have any suggestions or solutions for making this process more efficient, please let me know.

Thank you,

Matthew Prichard

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

Each project must be published separately, so I don't see how you would be able to publish each panel as a separate PDF in one operation, without some customization to the software.  

You could segregate each panel within one project, using location codes, but then all panels would be in the same PDF, unless you publish in sections.  

You could purchase the Super Project Manager add-in utility, which allows you to split a project into subprojects, but you would still publish each subproject separately.  Super Project Manager allows each subproject to have unique title block data, like document number, description, drawn by, checked by, date, etc., yet you can still view all subprojects as they relate to one another from the master or top level project. The Super Project Manager add-in is available at: www.ecadconsultant.com

Doug McAlexander
Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor
Specializing in AutoCAD Electrical Implementation Support
Phone: (770) 841-8009
www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hello again @dougmcalexander,

Was I correct about my assumption in my original post that using the AEPUBLISH command is the easiest way to make a .dsd file?

Thank you,

Matthew Prichard

Message 4 of 14
dougmcalexander

If I wish to create a .DSD file I definitely opt to create it during the publish process, however AutoCAD Electrical doesn't need it.  Electrical spools the drawings each time you publish, based upon their current position in the project manager list.

Doug McAlexander

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
TRLitsey

Hummm,

I have to ask.  What is easier than Plot Project for printing or creating PDFs?

Thank you

Screenshot - 1_5_2017 , 11_53_57 AM.png

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome
Message 6 of 14
dougmcalexander
in reply to: TRLitsey

For some reason I assumed he was using Publish Project.  During the Publish Project process, like TRLitsey shows, you will be prompted to save a .DSD file if you want one.  You don't need one for Electrical. If you wish to publish as a PDF, just click the Publish to PDF/DWF/DWFx option as TRLitsey pointed out.  Electrical has better ways to publish than plain AutoCAD.

Doug McAlexander

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

There is no way to create a multi-sheet PDF using Plot Project, correct?

Message 8 of 14
dougmcalexander

If you publish the way we showed you it will be a multiple sheet PDF, or you can opt to have separate files per sheet by un-checking the box for Multi-sheet File.

Doug McAlexander

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
TRLitsey
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi Doug,

I am still on 2014.  Is the PDF batch plot to a single multi-page file a new option?  I have always had to print single PDF per single drawing.  Once the project has been turned into PDFs  I use a freebee piece of software called PDF redirect to combine them into a single file with multiple pages.  I think I downloaded it from CNET some years ago.  Did I miss another ACE trick or is this new?

Thank you

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Hi TRLitsey,

In ACE 2014, you can use Publish to DWF to do what you are asking. Once you get to the Publish dialog box, pick PDF in the "Publish to:" drop down, and in "Publish Options..." select "Multi-sheet file" in the "General DWF/PDF options" drop down.

Message 11 of 14
dougmcalexander

I shot a video for how to publish to a PDF.  You can view it at the link below.

http://screencast.com/t/JLcz49s4v

Doug McAlexander

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
dougmcalexander

I am so sorry.  I did not notice that you are using 2014.  I shot a second video (click link below) to show how to publish to a multi-sheet PDF file using version 2014.  There are extra steps involved.  The process is much more streamlined in version 2017, as you can see in the previous video.

http://screencast.com/t/69uTUJHy

Doug McAlexander

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
rhesusminus

@Anonymous : Out-of-the-box it's not possible to create a multisheet PDF using "Plot Project". But depending on the PDF printer driver you're using, you can combine it with some code to achieve it. I've done it with PDF995.

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thank you, rhesusminus.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report